Excel help

earwig999

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm struggling with Excel.

I want to basically hide rows that contain a date >TODAY, which I have managed just about.

but there are different dates in different columns within the same row, so at the minute it is only looking at the first column. How can I make it check the rest of the ranges?

e.g.
A B C D E F G H
1 Forename Surname Region D.O.B Competency Expiry Date Competency Expiry Date

2 Joe Bloggs Midlands 01/04/1980 First Aid 10/01/2014 CSCS 11/12/2012
3 Sam Snotty London 10/06/1969 CSCS 01/04/2012 NVQ Level 2 09/08/2013

Currently my Macro is hiding Joe Bloggs row 2, but not the Sam Snotty row as I'm not sure how to make it check column F AND H as well.

So the formula that you have cannot you not put the column letter and row number in to that so it looks at the particular cell or cells.

Why not do it all with a formula?

Hide the entire date column, add a column to the right and fill the cells with the formula =IF(A1>TODAY(),"",A1) substituting your date cell for the A1?

Copying down the column will change the A1 accordingly...

=IF(A1>TODAY(),"",A1) won't work in VB macro as TODAY is not a function. I have to use DATE (Don't know why) I can use that for individual cells, but not as a macro to hide those rows.

I normally hide a few rows at the top for notes and other formulas.
Make a cells which has a date. Let us say A1.

IF(A6>$A$1,"",A6)

My point, you don't need the macro?

I do or they will be hidden all the time and not able to hide/unhide at the press of a button. ?

I need to be able to make a check based on the same criteria, but on different ranges and if the date is >TODAY in any of those columns then hide the row. So is should only show the rows which contain dates <TODAY (Overdue/Expired)

It's a bit difficult to explain without seeing it.

Last edited:
Then configure it as a database and change the selection criteria would be easiest surely?

Then configure it as a database and change the selection criteria would be easiest surely?

I don't know how or why, that's why I'm asking. I could only think of it this way.

I have already set up a formula using conditional formatting to create a traffic light system to fill the cell with either red, amber or green based on the expiry date distance from today.

Here is the file

The macro I have assigned to the button - 'Only Show Expired' is the one I need to tweak. It currently only checks column F, but I need it to check H, J, L etc. as well

Attachments

• Training Matrix.xlsm.zip
    40.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Leave it with me - man-flu and Merlot lol

It's still a work in progress so not fully functional yet. The last time I did VB I used to be a 32" waist and now I'm a 42" so I may have lost a bit somewhere in time.

It's still a work in progress so not fully functional yet. The last time I did VB I used to be a 32" waist and now I'm a 42" so I may have lost a bit somewhere in time.

So, you need to automatically clunk through the sheet marking/formatting according to date?

The formatting should be done via conditional formatting so will do it automatically, but to filter out only the expired competencies needs to be run from a button. Obviously there are only a few dummy rows in for testing purposes, but eventually it will hold 800 people, so I want to make it as simple to filter out as possible.

Assuming I understood correctly, the following code should get you well on the way...

Sub CheckExpired()

Dim myDate As Date
'format the date excluding time
myDate = FormatDateTime(Now, 2)

ActiveWorkbook.Sheets("Matrix").Activate

'Find out how many rows to check
lRow = Range("F" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row
Set MR = Range("F6:F" & lRow)
'For each cell in column F
For Each cell In MR
'If the date is greater than today change the fill colour to Red
If FormatDateTime(cell.Value, 2) > myDate Then cell.Interior.ColorIndex = 3
'If the date is greater than today hide the entire row
'If FormatDateTime(cell.Value, 2) > myDate Then cell.EntireRow.Hidden = True
Next

'Repeat for other columns
lRow = Range("H" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row
Set MR = Range("H6:H" & lRow)
For Each cell In MR
If FormatDateTime(cell.Value, 2) > myDate Then cell.Interior.ColorIndex = 3
'If FormatDateTime(cell.Value, 2) > myDate Then cell.EntireRow.Hidden = True
Next

End Sub

Last edited:
I'll try that at work on Monday, but for now I did a simple logic test at the end of each row and made a formula based on true/false decided by the logic test. Only trouble is it has added a few additional columns, but I've hidden them.

Attachments

• Training Matrix.xlsm.zip
    69.4 KB · Views: 0
Back