EX BT Line Hanging from the house HELP

treats

Member ++
Reaction score
Hi,

I have an old redundant BT line hanging from my house and over all the neighbours gardens. I've spoke to BT who are saying call your provider (Virgin) to sort it out.
Is this correct of are they pulling the wool? Virgin has its own cable entering my property, why would Virgin be arsed if my old BT line is hanging off the house?.

I was tempted to just cut it but dont want to short anything out and knock the neighbours off.
Before I ring Virgin and speak to someone in bangladesh who'll tell me to just turn my modem on and off, has anyone else been in this situation?

Cheers

Probably telling you nonsense to keep it there in case any future inhabitants want to use it and to save themselves some money.

I'm sure its bt who are responsible as above. Virgin won't touch it as it's not their property (wire wise)

Sent from my iPhone using Fingers and thumbs ...

Best to contact ofcom and seek advice.

The cabling up to the master socket belongs to BT infrastructure. They don't talk/deal with the public. BT retail or any other Telco who uses the line to provide a service do.

Your current provider does not use that infrastructure so has nothing to do with them.

Unless there is a junction box from this cable and wires go to your neighbour's property, cutting the cable will not disrupt their service.

It's bts cable if it's going to a mast.

I called virgin who just laughed and wished me luck in getting it sorted, phoned BT back for the third time told them this time I didnt have a provider and said its wrapped around a neighbors satellite dish, across two conservatories and that the neighbors are now pissed with it. Forty minutes later an enginner arrived to re-plug it back into the wall.
Now I remember why I left BT all them years go - Idiots.

I will stick up for BT because that's cost them money sending out a engineer for no gain profit wise.
For example

Farmer Giles would like a land line on his farm, so BT dig holes put up poles spending thousands to get Farmer Giles a phone line to his farm.
Once all the work has been done BT ask him what phone,internet package he would like.
Farmer Giles then replies I would like the Phone, internet package from Talk Talk please lol meaning BT have spend all that money for no gain.

not really true wholesale and retail costs are not far apart
bt are better off with wholesale as at least there getting there money
even if the customer doesn't pay say talk talk . talk talk still need to pay bt

And they have the market stitched up as excluding cable which doesn't have the coverage bt has people need to use them even if it through a third party. I'm pretty sure they have to sort stuff like that anyway. They don't want any tom dick or Harry going up their poles cutting fallen cables so they have to sort it.

I will stick up for BT because that's cost them money sending out a engineer for no gain profit wise.
For example

Farmer Giles would like a land line on his farm, so BT dig holes put up poles spending thousands to get Farmer Giles a phone line to his farm.
Once all the work has been done BT ask him what phone,internet package he would like.
Farmer Giles then replies I would like the Phone, internet package from Talk Talk please lol meaning BT have spend all that money for no gain.

It all goes through BT, they take a cut from talk talk, and from the next provider, and so on... it's BT's infrastructure!

I know what you mean though!

Mick

All very restrained, I would have just chopped it off and left them get on with it!

All very restrained, I would have just chopped it off and left them get on with it!

Me too lol , I won't entertain bt I'm getting 100mb elsewhere soon

Back