EU law that gives consumers a two-year guarantee on goods

Rat

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I didn't know about this myself,Im sure many of you didnt ?

Shoppers with faulty goods are being routinely denied repairs or replacements because they are not told about their rights under a guarantee scheme.

EU law creates a minimum period of two years in which a faulty product can be returned, and in England and Wales the figure is six years.

But many High Street stores are denying customers these rights, either because the staff don't know the law or because they think they can get away with it.

Generally, retailers hide behind the offer of a standard one-year guarantee and refuse to do anything when this lapses. Consumer experts say this means they are failing to abide by the law.

Most shoppers are in the dark about their rights and often simply throw out a faulty product.

At one time, household products were manufactured to last, but the industry can now make more money by churning out 'junk products' with a short lifespan.
Chris Warner, consumer lawyer at Which?, said: 'While it is true that the EU consumer rules mean stores should repair or replace an item that breaks inside two years, the Sale of Goods Act affords consumers protection up to six years from the date of purchase.'
He said the existence of one-year manufacturers' guarantees can confuse the situation. This is because stores wrongly deny any liability when these lapse.
'I don't think it's too cynical to say that retailers have been happy to let consumers think they have only a year's guarantee,' he added.
Another aspect of this confusion is that stores are able to profit from selling extended guarantees covering household products.
In the past, some electrical chains have made more money on selling these insurance policies than on the goods they offer.
Typically, a retailer would charge £150 for a three-year warranty on a £350 washing machine, while the same cover direct from the manufacturer might come in at £100.

In 2005, it was estimated that consumers were paying as much as £200million a year over the odds for these expensive warranties.

Full Story Here

Don't seem to be many do know.

My Daughter got an Apple Ipod Nano for Christmas and the docking locating plug that is inside the Ipod snapped . Took it back to where bought got nowhere down to manufacturer. Went to Apple Store got nowhere they dont care down to wear and tear.
So based on this ONE situation guarantees mean Jack Shit these days, they sell that many that you dont matter anymore.

I didn't know about this myself,Im sure many of you didnt ?

Shoppers with faulty goods are being routinely denied repairs or replacements because they are not told about their rights under a guarantee scheme.

EU law creates a minimum period of two years in which a faulty product can be returned, and in England and Wales the figure is six years.

But many High Street stores are denying customers these rights, either because the staff don't know the law or because they think they can get away with it.

Generally, retailers hide behind the offer of a standard one-year guarantee and refuse to do anything when this lapses. Consumer experts say this means they are failing to abide by the law.

Most shoppers are in the dark about their rights and often simply throw out a faulty product.

At one time, household products were manufactured to last, but the industry can now make more money by churning out 'junk products' with a short lifespan.
Chris Warner, consumer lawyer at Which?, said: 'While it is true that the EU consumer rules mean stores should repair or replace an item that breaks inside two years, the Sale of Goods Act affords consumers protection up to six years from the date of purchase.'
He said the existence of one-year manufacturers' guarantees can confuse the situation. This is because stores wrongly deny any liability when these lapse.
'I don't think it's too cynical to say that retailers have been happy to let consumers think they have only a year's guarantee,' he added.
Another aspect of this confusion is that stores are able to profit from selling extended guarantees covering household products.
In the past, some electrical chains have made more money on selling these insurance policies than on the goods they offer.
Typically, a retailer would charge £150 for a three-year warranty on a £350 washing machine, while the same cover direct from the manufacturer might come in at £100.

In 2005, it was estimated that consumers were paying as much as £200million a year over the odds for these expensive warranties.

Full Story Here

feck me i paid 170 for a 4 year extended warranty on my washing machine when really im covered for 6 years!?

Someone form worked told me about this before and there was a place where you could print it off so you had it in black and white in case places refused to accept it. After i got told i did some searching and found that its a EU legislation published in 1999, which stated as of 2002 this directive would be brought into effect. But apparently the UK hasnt adopted this yet, even though we are part of the EU :err: So even though we havent adopted it we could still use it imo.

Here a link i found to what looks to be the wording of the Directive
Directive 1999/44/EC, May 1999

Very interesting if true, any other sources for information lads?

Fact of the day: Bryston who make AV amps offer a 25 year warranty! :Clap:

Im sure ive got a few bits to send back :D cheers for the tip, just need to see it from a good source before i open my gob lol.

Q1. What is an inherent fault?

A fault present at the time of purchase. Examples are:
• an error in design so that a product is manufactured incorrectly
• an error in manufacturing where a faulty component was inserted.
The "fault" may not become apparent immediately but it was there at the time of sale and so the product was not of satisfactory standard.

thats sky fooked with every thompson sky+ and sky+HD receiver then, theyre lucky if they last a year lol

http://www.berr.gov.uk/files/file25486.pdf

Look at the top right of page 4.

Do you want me to get Neil Kinnock to ring you, or are you convinced now?

:p

P a reasonable amount of compensation
(or "damages") for up to six years from
the date of sale (five years after discovery
of the problem in Scotland).
This does not mean all goods have to last
six years! It is the limit for making a claim in
respect of a fault that was present at the
time of sale. It is not equivalent to a
guarantee.

This was top right page 6.

This was top right page 6.

"This does not mean all goods have to last
guarantee"

thank you unkle munkey.

Q1:how do you prove six years later something was faulty when you bought it?

Q2: If it was faulty when you bought it wouldn't you have taken it back at the time?

"This does not mean all goods have to last
guarantee"

thank you unkle munkey.

Q1:how do you prove six years later something was faulty when you bought it?

Q2: If it was faulty when you bought it wouldn't you have taken it back at the time?

I agree pal, I had a read of the heavy stuff before and you are basically bolloxed if they are prepared to stand their ground. I suppose if you can prove that it is a common problem then there must be an inherant fault.

Which actually brings my nicely to my point about getting my motherboard replaced, I pointed out that in America there had been a recall of the same model (DV2000) and so it must be a manufacturing defect.

I dunno, but it worked for me.

:)

HP Limited Warranty Service Enhancement

I got my iPod about 4 years ago, and now the battery has died. Does that mean that I can claim a new iPod?

I got my iPod about 4 years ago, and now the battery has died. Does that mean that I can claim a new iPod?

only if you can prove that an ipod battery should last more than 4 yrs or that it was faulty when you bought it.

so no... you can't.

what a fookin useless piece of legislation.

Back