Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Edit a Quicken QIF file

The Mackem

Member ++
Does anyone know of software that will allow me to manually edit a qif file so I can change the currency from $ to £. I want to use Quicken 2010 Starter edition but the only currency available is $. I created a saved file using Quicken Deluxe 2009 and saved that. I then tried importing that into Starter 2010 which it did and changed the currency to £'s but the file must contain version info, so it is asking me to unlock it to carry on using other features. I only want the starter edition as the Deluxe is too bloated for what I want to do with it. In the menu where the calendar is on Starter the currency option is not there as it is on other versions. Or if anyone know's if starter 2009 had multiple currency options that would be appreciated as no info i can find syays if it is.

Thanks in advance.

Rob

The Quicken interchange format (QIF) is a specially formatted text (ASCII) file. This file extension is normally used in importing and exporting ASCII files created by Quicken financial software and can be opened using text editors. You just have to use a simple text editor to open and edit .QIF files.

I did open the QIF file from Quicken 2009 and found info on the web about the tags and structure etc. I now have a problem though, Quicken Starter 2010 uses QDF format which when I open it using notepad the was a lot of gobbledegook in there. I couldn't really see a structure to the file apart from the start. I just want to change the file to use with £ sterling rather than $. Although if I unlock the starter edition would that give me multiple currency support, as the info on Quicken websites is a little thin? Another problem would be unlocking it in the uk as quicken don't support this market anymore.

Rob.

The only way to hide the base currency amount is to create a white space over it. On your template, add a text box with nothing in it and place it over the bit you don't want them to see. You will need to edit the font colour of the $ sign to white though so it does not show up.

Will look and see what can be done about the other issue.

Thanks techquest for the help. Could you explain a bit more how to do the template thing. Mind you I've only had a short play with it but it look's like it fits my needs. Just tried "you need a budget" but it doesn't fit my needs. Just reinstalling Quicken now but won't get a chance til Monday really to play around with it fully.

Rob.

The template is either your format setup/page, which you can save as a clean template for futre use, or a format of a setup/page provided by quicken to get you up and opo quickly.

If you select the $ sign you want to hide on that template and change the font colour to white that will prevent it overwriting your £ sign which you create by using a text box with just a £ sign in it. You then place that text box over the $ sign on the page your working on.

Hope that helps.

Sorted it now. Many thanks for your help. Purely by luck more than anything else. As it was Money2005 as I was using, I wanted a more up to date version. So on looking at Microsoft's website for help they had Money 2008 Sunset edition as a free download. This is free to US residents to enable them to continue using money as it requires no activation although it doesn't offer any online functions. However Quicken can import Money 2008 files, so I thought I'd try importing it. It also imports the currency used, so I now have a pound symbol rather than a dollar which is exactly what I wanted.

Many thanks for the help and advice, much appreciated. Only just tried it so I thought I would let you know how I got round it.

Rob.

Back