ECM WARNING - Ambit 250 modems - Remote brickage!

@ hideki thankyou for your many valued contributions but witchy is a veteran and knows his stuff, perhaps you can still restart on good footing

@ witchy congratulations on becoming a grandparent

@ all. i'm sorry if this sounds dismisssive its not my intention. usually if a big problem arises all relevant forums get flooded, this has not been the case now, i think its more likely you are victims of the virgin blackouts in certain areas.

@everyone, good luck with your problems

The dogs are going to hit Birmingham next?
Damn them allllll!!!
Damn them all to nthellllllllllllllll!!

*Switches modem off* :salute:

anyone know bout portsmouth

does anyone know what the roll out is for hitting areas im in portsmouth and dont think we been hit yet many thanks mr d

The dogs are going to hit Birmingham next?
Damn them allllll!!!
Damn them all to nthellllllllllllllll!!
*Switches modem off* :salute:
is birmingham ntl or tw dont think ther is any 250 in birmingham as tw dont use them only webstar and this is clearly an attack on 250 and not the infinite firmware unless they feel webstars r a problem too

does anyone know what the roll out is for hitting areas im in portsmouth and dont think we been hit yet many thanks mr d

Gosport, Havant, Leigh Park have been hit m8. Maybe your lucky...

Is yours behind a router?

like I said before .. I run 2 PC's

My PC with Router attached, modem worked fine after reboot

My PC with no router, modem fried

great

i think i maybe ok as i have changed most of the standard passwords and usernames but seems they are still mac attacking modems as they have the wrong serial number however hopefully they havent got in and killed em as ive done a few friends modems as a favour no money involved but just the hassle of sorting things out

Hihi

Adam, the simple fact is that nothing I posted has been disproved, in fact it has been confirmed time and time again, heh

I objected to being told I was scaremongering when actually what I said was entirely accurate.

I do not make this stuff up, lol

Derbyshire area has been hit as well, but heard reports of normal modems going down as well, network problem, not sure if it is to do with VM attack on the clones tho

just an update that my 250 is working well with only the user name and passy
changed never did the seriel number,ex c/w burnley area lancs
but i noticed on me subbed 250 the seriel is the same as the mac addy

i hope this helps...

For what it's worth I have 2 x 250's both connected through a router, and both with changed usernames and passwords when they were 'fixed'. The only problem I've had is having to reboot the modems a couple of times last night.
So far so good.
S

jus to update you all, i reflashed and done my cloned modem over a week ago and it has been smooth since, however, my subbed and cloned went off last night... i reboot the subbed and worked fine. rebooted the cloned this morning (without much hope) and the bugger worked straight away and i got no issues with it what so ever....

so i looked at my settings and im using the stealthed firmware so they have no access to my snmp and my usb mac address was set to be my nic mac + 1 (as hideki had suggested)

my modem is also connected directly.... no router....

thought i would share this with you all....

guys my 250 didnt go down cuz i changed the password on it long ago but my 200 is down (sigmax2 firmware)
is there a way to recover my 200?

so is there any modems what has the stealth firmware on have been attacked
or is it just the ones with infinite firmware

Hihi Samir12

Hmm, I think this is the first report of a 200 being killed

Are you sure it's completely dead and not just a bad MAC or something, have you tried connecting a MAX232 and booting it to see if any messages are sent?

The 200s can be fixed with JTAG, you have to solder a few resistors on but that's a hell of a lot easer than lifting the flash chip!

Hihi Samir12
Hmm, I think this is the first report of a 200 being killed
Are you sure it's completely dead and not just a bad MAC or something, have you tried connecting a MAX232 and booting it to see if any messages are sent?
The 200s can be fixed with JTAG, you have to solder a few resistors on but that's a hell of a lot easer than lifting the flash chip!
hi, yeh i tried connecting my 200 via telnet, that didnt work, tried hxxp://192.168.100.1, that didnt work, but i havent tried the max232 cable yet cuz i havent got the cable at the moment. but im pretty sure that its bricked though and i havent got the skills to JTAG it.

Hihi

Aye, and changing the login as you do on the 250 doesn't seem to work on the 200, not with sigma 1.25 at least...

It can however be changed via the web interface (http://192.168.100.1:1337) but I'm not sure if that web interface is visible from the cable side

I think I'll see if the port the webserver listens on can be changed easily

is birmingham ntl or tw dont think ther is any 250 in birmingham as tw dont use them only webstar and this is clearly an attack on 250 and not the infinite firmware unless they feel webstars r a problem too

From what I know, I believe Brum is ex TW (I'm ex TW) although I can't say for certain for all Birmingham areas.
Okay so this is a specific attack on 250 with inf. f/w. or 250s with ANY f/w?
I have a 5101e with inf. so thought I may be at risk. Didn't want to take the chance. You never know. My friends around here who have been with TW for years have surfboards, but me being a new subscriber with Virgin, I got a webstar.

Back