ECM WARNING - Ambit 250 modems - Remote brickage!

Should follow the old fidonet rule of waiting 10 minutes before responding I guess, lol

Fidonet, pmsl, I ran my own BBS back in 1994 but i ditched it as noone ever posted - apart from my mate :) So I ended up becoming a 'point' on another board.

Great memories of Fidonet, I stuck with it until the death as i hated the new flashy SVGA "internet" applications like Mosaic, Netscape and Internet Explorer wasn't even invented...but wasn't that just a license of Mosaic at the time?!

Terminate was my Fidonet tool of choice :)

ive heard of lots of different responses from people
who have changed there details and they have still had there modems bricked?

its a pain in the bum really......

i wonder who came up with the program to kill the hacked modems. would be intrested to see what it compares.

only thing i could think is..... if they comapre every mac to its config file. maybe even then try and log in to the modem?

they could then tall if it had infinity software. or if it couldnt log in kill it!

but then how could they kill it? they have a coax cable. is it realy that easy to do?

is there somthing in the infinity software that is allowing them in? maybe?

Hihi

Ahh, I used to run one, 2:2502/95, tmail, proboard, golded

I did use terminate at one point, but he released a dodgy one (cut the last character off the end of each line) then disappeared

It also broke badly with other networks, tried to use it to handle the mailer at one time and it was sending packets to the wrong people because it ignored the most significant part of the address!

Still have the old BBS backed up on CD somewhere, it wasn't Y2K compliant though so little can be done with it now

to be fair to VM they've done a good job, we havent pinpointed the problem exactly (or at least we cant fully confirm it), its not as if they were gonna sit back forever and leave us be....

but! we still havent given up.... and forget about the complaining that the modems have gone off (and how they did it could of been illegal)... think of all the free bandwidth we've had and how much money VM has put into this plan to stop the modems and we are still going strong in some sense....

and its ppl like hideki, gentlex, witchy, linked (to name a few) that makes me think we will still be on the winning side this time next year....

dont worry... be happy... and long live DW.... LOL

I cant think it is something they are sending down the cable..why have no sb5100i gone off ??

i dont think any other modems have gone off except the 250s? or maybe is it an infinite firmware attack?

might be a good idea to do a matrix lol

single out what models have gone off what havent, and what are their differences....

"I cant think it is something they are sending down the cable..why have no sb5100i gone off ??"

Of course its something they are sending down the line, they have no other way of connecting to your modem except via the coax.

that's it then you not a lawyer or studding law by any chance
lol

no too old to be a
student
and the only law i
practice
it breaking them.

I
recently
successfully
use the
lawful
excuse defence after ripping a car park
barrier
off after car park
tried
too rip me off. :D

Fidonet, pmsl, I ran my own BBS back in 1994 but i ditched it as noone ever posted - apart from my mate :) So I ended up becoming a 'point' on another board.

Great memories of Fidonet, I stuck with it until the death as i hated the new flashy SVGA "internet" applications like Mosaic, Netscape and Internet Explorer wasn't even invented...but wasn't that just a license of Mosaic at the time?!

Terminate was my Fidonet tool of choice :)

showing your age now m8 :D

it is ok m8 Im old enough too remember acoustic modems and teletypes like they were built to work together. :D

and the old BBS days on the Amiga's
hey bet you remember stamp gluing as well. :D
my first Internet access was via I pint of larger and the local university VAX system.

use bribe the student for accounts with a pint and dial up with the Amiga boxing china direct. them were the days

i wonder who came up with the program to kill the hacked modems. would be intrested to see what it compares.

only thing i could think is..... if they comapre every mac to its config file. maybe even then try and log in to the modem?

they could then tall if it had infinity software. or if it couldnt log in kill it!

but then how could they kill it? they have a coax cable. is it realy that easy to do?

I recon Its a simple as others have said

telnet pass words not changed easy to brick em

serial number and usb mac not one digit sticking out
on network like a sore thumb easy too find and kill mac on database at vm but unable to brick modem

personally I cant see how they can brick em with out telnet, unless ambit back doored the modem independently of the firmware at manufacture.

but I doubt that

and a lot of reports from people that ore off for other reasons

I done a whole pile of modem swaps for people I done modems for where id told them to unplug to I could do telnet fix for them.

all save bar one that was bricked before I got in contact daybefer yesterday.

of those that have been done not one has gone down again so far.

Last edited:

modemim using on xbox360 pluged staight in to back of it never has gone down and friends who using router have not gone off maybe they need it conected to a pc to kill it as anyones gone down on a apple mac

even if i did log a complaint mate do you think im stupid enough to do it straight via my connection and also as forr contacting ambit i used a proxy and then connected to there site throught another proxy site so i connected basically throught my ip to another proxy and then to another proxy to ambit and if i was to make a complaint then maybe i would up that to 3 proxys man u aint got a clue have ya

Well just to let you guys know. I had my original modem get killed the other day in leicester cos I had not changed the passwords.

I out a spare modem on straight away and changed the passes and the serial and is running fine for last 3 days

Regards

Back