DWA-140 N won't go over 54MB! not sure what to do next, please help!!!!!

mike_07

Inactive User
Reaction score
I set up my wireless network and it works overall but I'm having problems with connecting my pc (the 2 laptops connect without any problems etc)

My pc will connect and I can surf the net or download etc but not at maximum speeds (it won't go over 54mb)

here's my set up:

virgin 50mb internet
D link-615 router with latest firmware (4.11) and all settings set
2x laptops both connect perfectly (1 is N and the other is G) both get max speeds
DWA-140 N usb adaptor (with latest firmware 3.1.2.0) for pc with win xp (windows is up to date too)

My pc is up to date and the usb adaptor and router too. I get 100% signal strength and if I connect via one of the laptops I get full speed, If I connect with the DWA-140 N I get a maximum speed of 54mb, If I disconnect the adaptor and plug it back in it will show up as 300mb then as it is assigning the IP it drops to 108mb and by the time its ready to use its gone down to 54mb :Angryfire and I don't know why! I've spent hours looking on the net but I couldn't find an answer.

can someone PLEASE help me?

thanks
mike

right click the adapter card select properties and click configure then advanced, check speed/duplex see what it's set at you can force it to full and try that see if it helps.

I had a look but I can not find speed/duplex :confused: I've taken a screen shot of what is there and included it, the top 4 in the list (the APSD's) where disabled and I've enabled them but still no difference

I also checked in device manager and everything looks ok there (ie no yellow ! etc)

I don't know what's wrong it should connect faster?

any other ideas please?

thanks
mike

M8 have you got any anti virus on the puter? just try and disable it and have a wee go and see if it makes any difference.

My kaspersky makes a difference when leeching from newsgroups on laptop wirelessly.

I've tried disabling all firewalls and anti virus etc but it dose not make any difference

everything seems to be working ok but it will only connect at 54MB :confused:

mike

i think this must be a driver issue as i had the exact same problem , basically my first dongle that came with my 50meg install was connecting to my router @270mbps , anyway that dongle went tits up and got myself a new one while waiting for vermin to replace it , installed rev-b driver and it connected at 270mbps then the next day i logged on to my comp i could only get 54mbps and still not got a clue whats caused it

Back