CD & DVD DVD Drive Recommendations

One that plays DVD's ;)

What are you wanting to use it for? Any 360 stuff? Are you looking for Blu-Ray also? (Read only or Read/Write) You can get Blu-Ray players, but they have DVD+R writing.

Last edited:
I am after a nice reliable burner, I have a Pioneer but it does not seem to want to burn an ISO correctly for the wife's Sat Nav. I am fed up making coasters!

(TT)

I am after a nice reliable burner, I have a Pioneer but it does not seem to want to burn an ISO correctly for the wife's Sat Nav. I am fed up making coasters!

(TT)

I was going to recommend a Pioneer but after reading the Coaster bit maybe not, Although been using them for over 18 years and never had a problem

I to would also recommend Pioneer in that instance, but could just be your laser is shot.

I have a Lite-On and a LG at the moment and both do the job.

That's why I got the Pioneer due to the reviews.
It seems to burn everything else OK, with the exception of this ISO, that I know others have had success with.

(TT)

There are any number of reasons that ISO don't work, bad ISO, wrong format for the usage (IE UDF 2.60 when it should be 1.02 or ISO9660, Mode 1 or mode 2 etc...).

Could be the laser is getting weak in the burner (especially if its 12 months old or older) or getting weak in the Sat Nav unit.

Also discs are not 100% compatible with all devices, and the same with burn speeds. Some older dvd players like films burned at 4 speed, some work with 8 speed, and some will work at 16 or higher.

I've been burning discs ever since I bought my first scsi drive (2 speed CD writer which cost over £600 with scsi card) and since DVD-R came out in 1997 there have been many different brand and dye combinations and I think I've tried them all.

I never get any discs based on brand name, I always buy them based on dye.

I found that the make of the burner makes less of a difference than the dye on the disc.

The ONLY disc I have ever had 100% success with are ones made using the Tayo Youden dye.

I have always liked and recommended Pioneer burners, and use one in my pc now, as well as an LG Blu-ray burner.

But I write around 800 disks a month using my 2 duplicators which have 8 Samsung burners each, and don't get any problems. I'm using discs with MCC dye at the moment (Verbatim) @ 9p each.
I've done a few sat-nav disks with no problems.

Last edited:
I can only assume its either my drive or I am using the wrong format to burn the ISO.
I got some Verbatim discs that are recommended to be good for the sat Nav unit. I doubt it's the satnav as its only 12 months old.

What software would you recommend I use?
I tried ultraiso and image burn.

(TT)

What software would you recommend I use?
I tried ultraiso and image burn. (TT)

I always use imageburn for everything, ISO's, Audio CD's, dvd movies etc...

Try a slower speed, this often corrects problems cause by a weak laser in the burner.

Back