Duo Image on a Solo

eazi

Inactive User
Reaction score
Is the hardware is these boxes similar enough to run a Duo image on a Solo?

Obviously it would find the second tuner and some functions won't work but could it do any damage?

The reason I ask is I would like to backup my Duo and Restore on the Solo so that both boxes are identical.

Is the hardware is these boxes similar enough to run a Duo image on a Solo?

Obviously it would find the second tuner and some functions won't work but could it do any damage?

The reason I ask is I would like to backup my Duo and Restore on the Solo so that both boxes are identical.

DO NOT PUT A DUO IMAGE ON A SOLO!! or vica versa as whether its a original or clone you will end up bricking your expensive box and have a nice paperwieght, you should be able to set your solo up using the same type of image(BH,VIX ect) as your duo and just use the same addons,plugins so its 90% the same. regards mdt

Last edited:
Thanks @MDT.

I suspected as much and so haven't done it.

I do generally set up the boxes the same and share bouqets etc (they also both use the same NAS directory for recordings / EPG / Picons). Its just a pain maintaining 2 images....

The images them selves are similar but they all have different hardware drivers and bootloaders etc. if you do load a duo image to a solo you will kill it permantly.

The images them selves are similar but they all have different hardware drivers and bootloaders etc. if you do load a duo image to a solo you will kill it permantly.

Surprised you guys have not come up with some kind of file/image checker to prevent somebody killing there expensive box?

I dont think you really need a file checker, as it's always been pretty clear to me when iv downloaded images that its meant for the Duo and the Solo image is elsewhere but I guess mistakes can happen.

Surprised you guys have not come up with some kind of file/image checker to prevent somebody killing there expensive box?

you dont need a file checker, the ability to read and think should suffice. in my opinion if your stupid enough to load a solo image to a duo or vice versa then its your own fault what happens after that.

you dont need a file checker, the ability to read and think should suffice. in my opinion if your stupid enough to load a solo image to a duo or vice versa then its your own fault what happens after that.

Fair enough and I agree but it would save a lot of headaches for people that decide to try,shall we say ;)

yes i agree...some kind of checker that prevents you from accidently loading the wrong image, after all we are all human and do make mistakes, everyones different...lol. Imagine how you would feel if you bought a vu+duo and accidently loaded the wrong image...i would be gutted..

TBH, you wouldn't do this accidentally because the file structure contains duo or solo subdirectories.

You could do it deliberately though which is why I asked the initial question as to whether it was possible.

I don't consider this a stupid question given the apparent similarity of the devices and the fact that some drivers are different is in no way obvious !!

What would have been stupid would be trying it without asking :)

Back