duel boot xp & linux help

motsey

Inactive User
Reaction score
hi i would like to duel boot windows xp and backtrack on my harddrive

i have created 2 partions 1 is 3gb for backtrack and the 2nd is the rest of the drive(using fdisk)

i formatted both to fat32 via dos

i installed backtrack on to the 1st partation via the install setup on backtrack but when i booted it wouldnt loads somthing about directory unmountable

i then went and installed winxp and that was going fine untill i restarted and got error somthing like partation table error

im thinking for linux install will i need to create a partation called \boot or somthing -i read it somwhere

is this poss?

ok thanks for ur help but im going to stick with backtrack but am getting nowhere
when ever i do a reboot it always freezes on "L 99 99 99 99 99 99......" im going to give it another going 2morrow, well later on today

that's a LILO error, the config or kernel it's looking for is missing in some way.

that's a LILO error, the config or kernel it's looking for is missing in some way.

did you actually install backtrack? From your posts and from your error message it would shock me if you hadnt.

The error means lilo isnt configured correctly - instead of masks suggestion of the kernel not being installed or missing(?) instead lilo just hasnt been configured to look at the right partition for linux.

I am afraid though, thats where my help ends as I nearly always use grub as a boot manager - plus the vmware route would be better for anyone trying to get into linux for the first time.

that's what i meant, the kernel is missing from where it was expected to be.

i'v seen it before when someone add's or removes drives from a multi-drive system that has the linux installed on one of the secondary drives.

you have to boot from a cd and change the lilo config to match the new drive paths.
(a real pain in the ass.)

Back