Putting a New clean Harddrive in a PC ? Help

Jooooles

DW Regular +
Reaction score
I have just found a 250GB harddrive that I am going to put in a laptop and do a fresh install, once I put the new clean harddrive in will the pc still boot from the cd tray and install the windows disk on the harddrive.

Or will I get an error saying no system and not even a chance to boot from the cd tray.

Ive never installed a fresh clean harddrive before Ive always cloned the old OS and drivers on the new harddrive and done a straight swap.

Will I need to put some boot files on the harddrive are anything ????? just a little advice would be nice before I make a mess lol.

Shouldn't be an issue to be honest, just make sure the drive can be seen in the BIOS.

If you don't install an OS then you will get no system disk, but it won't affect the boot from CD at all.

yes it will still boot from your cd/dvd drive.....

just look for the ( press any key to boot from cd) on the screen when you start up...

just check in your bios that your first boot is from the cd/dvd drive... :)

Big disaster I knew it lol, I done a full formatt of the disk left it over night Ive just put it in the laptop and booted the windows disk.

It says no Drives were found Click load driver to provide a mass storage driver for installation ????? Eh WTF lol

HELP HELP my misses is going mad lol What bloody driver do I need its a HP lappy G6-1189sa and its a western digital harddrive.

Help please :mad:)

The harddrive is showing because Im running a short test on it now through the bios ? whats the SKU number mate G6-1189sa ??

Im running a OEM windows7 disk shouldnt the basic sata drivers be installed on the set up disk ??? Also Ive tried to load some sata drivers of a usb pen but the installation is saying there not digitally signed.

Im a bit lost here ?????

I wanted the SKU number to locate the drivers for your laptop because I couldn't get them by the model, but I eventually found them (in the link above)

No, you shouldn't have to.

I haven't had to do it myself per se for some considerable time, but you should be able to burn them to disk or load then from pen drive.

If the above doesn't work use:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Det...sion=Windows 7 (32-bit)*&DownloadType=Drivers

or

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Det...HCI+Controller"&DownloadType=Drivers&lang=eng

If you need to extract them from the executable, open a DOS box and run the file with a -a switch

These will then extract out to: C:\Program Files\Intel

Last edited:
Cheers for your help on this exos I already tried the HP driver you posted and its not digitally signed so wouldnt load I will try the intel one now ?

wont take them Intel ones either just saying there not digitaly signed wooooops what next ????

If I slip stream a drivers folder into W7 would it make a differnce at all ?

I think I need some microsoft signed sata drivers ???? what is it with new Dell and HP lappys are the getting crafty are what no wonder there sticking a £36 price tag on there system recovery disks the Barstewards.

Its just problem after problem there holding you by the balls, Dell is the same with there fooking stupid webcam software the 64bit drivers you cant download on there site you have to get the full webcam software package for your pc model.

The twats lol

They should be digitally signed, can't understand why they won't take.

Have you tried changing the drive into IDE or compatible mode rather than AHCI in the bios (this will cause another later after installation issue however if it see's the drive)

They should be digitally signed, can't understand why they won't take.

Have you tried changing the drive into IDE or compatible mode rather than AHCI in the bios (this will cause another later after installation issue however if it see's the drive)

I cant find this option in the bios Its a nightmare I used to sort this out on my last lappy the same way change it to IDE F6 etc but I cant find any settings in the bios.

Is this the x64 version?

x64 won't accept any other drivers except signed, although I would have thought both the manufacturer and intel ones are.

If it is x64, you might have to revert to 32Bit.

EDIT: I have to be out for 6:30am tomorrow mate and a two hour plus drive, so I'm afraid I will have to leave it at this for tonight, sorry.

EDIT2: Try these, a little older but supposedly signed: http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bi...Lang=13&taskId=135&mode=4&idx=0&printver=true (Ignore the model as its the Intel 5 Series 4 Port SATA AHCI Controller you need)

Last edited:
Is this the x64 version?

x64 won't accept any other drivers except signed, although I would have thought both the manufacturer and intel ones are.

If it is x64, you might have to revert to 32Bit.

EDIT: I have to be out for 6:30am tomorrow mate and a two hour plus drive, so I'm afraid I will have to leave it at this for tonight, sorry.

EDIT2: Try these, a little older but supposedly signed: HP Z800 Workstation -  Intel Rapid Storage Technology Utility and Driver for Microsoft Windows - HP Business Support Center (Ignore the model as its the Intel 5 Series 4 Port SATA AHCI Controller you need)

Yes it is a 64bit install mate I have to install 64bit because I have a 8GB ramm upgrade jesus christ Im scratching my head now lol

IM just totally pissed off now I cant even find a programme to slip my drivers into the W7 disk R7-lite is only for 86x systems and nlite is way outdated now its only for XP, looks like my hands are tied to contact HP, and pay them money for there gargage disk full of shitty software that makes your lappy run 1 mile an hour.

If I drop to a 32bit system Ive wasted £70 on a 8GiG upgrade as 32bit systems only see upto 3.6GiG anyway I cant win.

Blah Blah think I will sleep on it ffs hee hee

Result I borrowed a docking station give the harddrive a full formatt again, then went into disk managment and noticed it was unallocated so I allocated the space and assinged it to letter drive F. Then give it another quick formatt, I then went into the lappy bios and made the first boot device USB CD/DVD I had it set up with internal CD/ROM earlier and I guessed if that was sata run It might have been conflicting with picking up the harddrive.

Anyway I booted it up and sha ping the harddrive was seen so it probably wasnt a driver after all, well I dont know what I have done but what ever it was it worked.

Where there is a will there is a way Im glad I didnt give up. cheers for your input though EXOS I still learnt alot about disabling naitive sata to IDE in other systems etc to pick up new etc harddrives so Ive had a good learning curve.

Im a happy man so Im gonna have a pint of stella and steak and stilton to celebrate blah blah

Back