DreamBox Edit Importing/Exporting Problem

GaryTheGolfer

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi,

I am trying to work with Dreambox 500C (Pure NTL) and DreamBox Edit (DBE) V2.02.00.

I have already used DBE to make major changes to my channels. I have no problem with the Dreambox side, only with the DBE part. It appears to be a bug and I have emailed DBE's developer. In the meantime I wondered if anyone out there could help me out with a workaround.

I need to edit/add about 700 channels within DBE so its not trivial. If it were, I would have just edited within DBE. I thought that I would be able to export from DBE into Excel, do the mods easily and the import the settings back into DBE. It should work in theory.

Problem:
I can load a working file set (services etc that have been FTPed from my DreamBox) into DBE. I export services in Tab delimited format from DBE. I can open this txt file using Excel (2007). If I make NO changes and simply save it back as tab delimited txt file, it will not import properly into DBE. At this stage rememeber I haven't made any changes to the file. I have simply exported, run in Excel and imported back to DBE.

It appears that DBE was designed for satellite use and has been adapted for cable use. There are references to satellite and transponder all over the place. That shouldn't be a problem. Cable is just treated as if it were another transponder. However, the export to text under DBE seems to be flawed.

By editing the "satellite position" data in Excel, I can get it to re-import back into DBE. But it doesn't import all the field data properly. The Satellite position field doesn't import and neither do all the "other parameters" field. Furthermore, if I add channels under Excel, these aren't imported with the original channels.

So to sum up:
There seems to be bugs in the Export to txt function of DBE. I can edit in Excel to allow re-importing but could do with some help to figure out what else is going awry.

Any ideas? (other than waiting & hoping to hear from the developer of DBE). It would be quite nice to be able to let him know the solution as well as the problem. Has anyone been here before??

Yours hopefully

I dont know if this will help you, But I had a similar problem yesterday. It turned out that when the file was exported to Excel, DBE added a blank line at the top. DBE now wouldn't recognose the file. I deleted the blank line, hay presto DBE excepted the import. Hope this helps.

DreamBoxEditor problems

I did check with notpad, the exported txt file does have a different top line but it contains the field headers eg Service Name, package etc. There isn't a blank line on my version.

Still it was worth a try.
Thanks

Back