dreambox 500S questions

ice2004

Inactive User
Reaction score
OK i dont have anything set up its more so i know what im doing before i try and set stuff up.

With the dreambox 500S do you have to do different scans for each satellite? Or do you just do one scan and the motor turns to different satellites automatically, assuming the dish is setup correctly?

And secondly say i put the "captains files" on as my services and bouquets when i click on channels on different satellites does it move to them automatically or do i have to tell it to move to the satellite then change the channel?

oh and finally am i right and thinking the captains files go in below location on a 500S?

/var/tuxbox/config/enigma/

Just trying to visualise everything i need to do before i actually do it.

: thanks :

No expert on the sat side but just going by what I have managed to get working so far,
You do need to scan for each satellite, the captains setting can be treated just as another bouquet and installed in the same way with dreamboxedit. I have only managed to get astra 28.2 e working so far so can't really give the experts view.

On you first question,when satellite searching you can do automatic satellite scan.

You change the parameters for the satellites you want to scan , like search all.(paid/fta)

You do this for every sat you want to search and then leave it and go and have a cup of tea.

When you come back it will have searched all the sats you asked it to.

On you first question,when satellite searching you can do automatic satellite scan.

You change the parameters for the satellites you want to scan , like search all.(paid/fta)

You do this for every sat you want to search and then leave it and go and have a cup of tea.

When you come back it will have searched all the sats you asked it to.
Hi ice2004. If you are using captain files then you don't have to scan since it includes scan of ALL the satellites; especially if you are using the january 2008 version(everything is in there.
Just set your geographic co-ordinates correctly, ftp the captain files to your box and your FLYING into the WORLD of VIEWING.

OK i dont have anything set up its more so i know what im doing before i try and set stuff up.

With the dreambox 500S do you have to do different scans for each satellite? Or do you just do one scan and the motor turns to different satellites automatically, assuming the dish is setup correctly?

And secondly say i put the "captains files" on as my services and bouquets when i click on channels on different satellites does it move to them automatically or do i have to tell it to move to the satellite then change the channel?

oh and finally am i right and thinking the captains files go in below location on a 500S?

/var/tuxbox/config/enigma/

Just trying to visualise everything i need to do before i actually do it.

: thanks :

if you just ftp the channel lists over then they wont work ice m8 you need to use a orogram like dreamset m8 and that puts them in the right places automaticly

if you just ftp the channel lists over then they wont work ice m8 you need to use a orogram like dreamset m8 and that puts them in the right places automaticly
maybe you are right Krazylegz but I did it that way and all worked well for me. maybe it also depends on the image you are using.

thanx for the responses guys, think im pretty much clued up on everything now............just need to test that theory and watch it all go horribly wrong :)

I tried for days to lock and scan Astra 19.e and couldn't get anywhere but than I loaded Captains settings with dreamset and this has started pulling the channels into the box. I can't seem to watch any of the Premeier channels but I assume thats because I have not sorted out my cams and keys.

I tried for days to lock and scan Astra 19.e and couldn't get anywhere but than I loaded Captains settings with dreamset and this has started pulling the channels into the box. I can't seem to watch any of the Premeier channels but I assume thats because I have not sorted out my cams and keys.

I have been doing quite alot of reading and from what i understand the cam thats quite good is MGcamd 1.27b as it AU's and i believe Ramraider updates the softcam.key regularly.

So think when i get the chance thats the things im putting on mine.

Gemini 4.10
MGcamd 1.27b
latest softcam.key courtesy of ramraider
latest captains settings

I have the Pli image loaded on my Dm500S and that allows me to download the mgcamd but unfortunately it is 1.26. I have uploaded the softcam key and the premier keys from krazylegs but about 90% of the encrypted channels that i am trying to view seem to be locked tight than a virgins... I have tried to watch the premiere films but nothings opening and the pron crumbs i must on the wrong planet because all i have seen is ads for telephone ads. Spent days trying to get the angle just right to tune a satellite and I can't find anything apart from shopping channels!

The premeier just opened on 19.e so assume the rest will follow eventually.

Last edited:
Back