Dreambox 500c To DVD Recorder Probs

Ardoch

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi.

Bought a Sony RDR-HXD890 at the weekend but cannot pick up the digital signal. The signal is there as normal in AV1 until I switch the recorder on. A signal scan shows 0% signal. I spoke to Sony who said change Line1 to Decoder, and that there should be no compatibility issues, but it I still have the same problem.

If anyone has any ideas I'd be grateful to hear them.

Ardoch.

How do you have the Dreambox connected? You say digital signal, but surely you can only record via analog?

Hi thanks for taking an interest.

Virgin cable to in Dreambox

Out aerial Dreambox to DVD in analogue aerial

Out DVD analogue aerial to TV aerial

Scart Dreambox to Line 1 DVD

Scart out DVD to TV scart av1.

I want to be able to record any of my digital channels onto hard drive then burn to dvd if so wish.

Thanks,
Ardoch.

Last edited:
I think this is how I had mine conected
av1 scart from TV to DVD
then link another scart from
dream to second scart socket of dvd

is this what you are meaning ?

No Rat sorry.

2 aerial cables, 2 scarts, and the main virgin media cable set up as I said. That is how the book says to set it up and how Sony said to set it up when I called them.

Ardoch.

if all you want to do is record cable programmes Ardoch Im pretty sure my way will work

but maybe its me not understanding lol

Yeah you would think it would be that simple. I suspect I am the simple one :Dunce:

Yeah you would think it would be that simple. I suspect I am the simple one :Dunce:
It sounds to me like you're trying to access the channels via the digital tuners, which isn't going to be possible. I'm just guessing, since you mentioned signal strength in your first post, but you don't get a signal reading from a scart connection. Maybe you need to switch the DVD recorder into a different mode?

My tv is analogue. Am I trying to be digital with analogue equipment? I did tell the guy at John Lewis I had an analogue tv.

Last edited:
My tv is analogue. Am I trying to be digital with analogue equipment? I did tell the guy at John Lewis I had an analogue tv.
Your TV will be fine, that's not the problem. The signal that goes into a Dreambox is digital, but it comes out analog through the scart connection, which goes into your DVD recorder, so you will have to record it as such. However, the fact that you're talking about digital signal levels (or lack thereof), leads me to think that you haven't selected the correct recording input or recording mode on the DVD recorder, and that you're most likely playing around with its digital tuner now. Does that make sense?

No I have not touched the digital tuner, didn't dare, and have not attempted to record anything. I have not got that far.

I have only tried to set the box up following the on screen directions and found that the digital signal vanishes when I turn on the box. When I scan for channels there are none.

No I have not touched the digital tuner, didn't dare, and have not attempted to record anything. I have not got that far.

I have only tried to set the box up following the on screen directions and found that the digital signal vanishes when I turn on the box. When I scan for channels there are none.
That's because the DVD recorder's tuner is a terrestrial tuner. It will not pick up any of the Dreambox channels, and you should not be looking for a digital signal for this purpose. You can only record the channel the Dreambox is tuned to via scart, which is an analog connection. If you have a digitally compatible aerial, you can connect that one and use the DVD recorders tuner to pick up the Freeview channels.

Yes that makes sense thanks.

The ability to only record the channel I am watching is a sideways step from my video recorder and not worth the expense. I was looking to be able to record and watch different channels. Bummer.

Ardoch.

Back