Dream Connections

fezzy

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi Guys

I ve sorted out how i,m goin to connect to pc from down stairs , a rather long ethernet
cable. I have all the cables and are now ready for connecting to the network. I followed
Sillabrummies thread as far as i could , as he has a 500 and i have a 7020. The problem
guys is what, where, how do i connect the pc, router, dream?? Does the ethernet go from
the dream or to the pc or the router and what else do i do before i the dcc and start
setting up for the network ?? Sorry guys - many years playing with pc,s and never
networked before. Also anybody know where i can pick up some decent F.A.Q,s

Fezzy.: multi :

Connect your dream via ethernet cable directly to one of the ports on your router. This is the best and easiest way.

First of all, you need to know the ip address of your router. It's usually 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.2.1.

Go to MENU > SETUP > EXPERT MENU > COMMUNICATIONS SETUP

If your router ip address is 192.168.0.1, give the box an ip address of 192.168.0.10.
If your router ip address is 192.168.1.1, give the box an ip address of 192.168.1.10.
If your router ip address is 192.168.2.1, give the box an ip address of 192.168.2.10.

...you get the idea ;)

Next, where it says 'Gateway:' put the ip address of your router in here.

Save settings and that's it. Your dreambox should now be connected to the net.

All dreamboxes are the same when connecting to the net.

Cheers Devilfish

While i,m doing the above , do i use dcc through the serial to set it up ?

Fezzy.: multi :

No for DCC you need to use ethernet. There's no need to use serial for anything except flashing with dreamup or monitoring the serial output via hyperterminal.

To be honest, I don't like DCC, I feel it's too complicated. A simple ftp client is much easier, i.e. FlashFXP, CuteFTP, etc.

Thats great mate

But in plain english !! I did not understand a word , just don,t use dcc.

Also how do i go about finding the routers ip.

fezzy.

Sorry if i sound a bit thick , honest i,m not -- he he.: multi :

Hi

When in setup i get

I.P. 192.168.1 .64

Nameserver 192.168.1 .254

Gateway 192.168.1 ,254

What do i change here and would this be a correct ip.

fezzy.: multi :

The nameserver and gateway are definitely wrong.

Don't worry about the nameserver.

If your PC is already connected to your router, open a browser and put these ip addresses in one by onehitting return after each.

One of these will bring up a username and password box, the one that does, this is the routers ip address. Put this ip address in the 'gateway' section and save.

Come back and let me know what ip works.

to get COMPUTER ip and default gateway etc.

Click start ,accessories ,command prompt.

This will bring up the msdos screen.

( or Start, Run, type 'cmd' and press enter)

then in the dos box type 'ipconfig /all' and press enter.

This will give u comps ip and default gateway and more.

NOTE:do not include ' when typing 'cmd' or 'ipconfig /all'

Back