Do we have any professional/serious photographers in the house?

Goldberg

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been trying to get into Photography for a few years now.
Always have my iPhone on me, also have a Point and shoot Canon Ixus 510 HS for shorter journeys and then a Canon 400D DLSR the wife bought me a few years back.

I love to see other members photo's and read the feedback those in the know can provide.

In another forum life they used to have a monthly Photo Competition which was a good incentive for people to get involved.

Cheers

Not to completely steal the idea from elsewhere, but usually there is a theme for the month.
With a week to go entry is closed and then a week of voting occurs.

Normally have two threads, one thread is photo's only and the other thread is discussion only.
Rules are:

* You can only enter once but you can change your entry
* Photo has to have been taken for the competition, so no going around digging out your old ones
* They can be photo-shopped but voting should be on the shot rather than the work done to it. It is a photo competition not an artistic comp
* To save forum storage etc.. they are generally stored on a free service and embedded into the post. Also they must follow a maximum size in order to fit on the screen nicely.

There might be a few more rules, but you get the idea.

Let's do it, @Mick can sort the prizes out.

Theme this month is Space, or anything in the night sky.
Clear night tonight in Glenrothes ;)

(TT)

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's do it, @Mick can sort the prizes out.

Theme this month is Space, or anything in the night sky.
Clear night tonight in Glenrothes ;)

(TT)

You up in the Kingdom tonight @MH :)

its a good idea if we can get enough people interested in it. we would have to watch out for pictures that have been ripped off sites etc and claimed to have been taken by the entrant. ( it has happened on a few forums) TinEye and google could be used to scan a picture if you think it might have been robbed off a site. plus if its hosted on places like flickr the Exif data is available to read and get info on settings used etc

The way it works on 'the other forum' is the photograph is uploaded to a host site such as Flickr, then the entrant links it to a post using the image insert link, the exif data is then available for a moderator to check either by downloading the image and checking with something like PhotoMe or on Flickr itself. As below. If you click through you will find the exif info under 'additional info'

Hope it helps

9879283375_a08d979233_b.jpg
[/url] IMG_0850 by slatemanus, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited:
I recognise that photo ;)

Guys, I think starting one for November is going to be a bit rushed. I think building up to starting in December is a better option.
the one @brewby55 posted is from where I used to visit often, the standard was very high but you were always given positive feedback to help for the future.

I like this idea and look forward to seeing the pics, but just a suggestion would it not be better if everybody had an equal chance and the comp appealed to and was available /open to more members by saying that the photo's had to be taken on a mobile phone and not on some high end camera that most members (A) Don't have and (B) have any knowledge of using.

Most People do own a mobile phone with a camera and it is carried at all times really.

As said just a suggestion but either way I look forward to seeing the pics

Absolutely, I should have been more clear on that. I think I was merging two ideas into one.

In terms of the competition, you have a theme and you can use whatever device you wish. I think in the interest of fairness before people vote, it should be stated what the photo was taken on and what enhancements if any have been applied. Then when it comes to voting people can take that into account.

Maybe two categories for semi or professional equipment and another for amateur?

From experience, the amateur and semi pro's have always been put into the same comp and often it is tough to call.
Granted the 'pro' might win the first time, but it certainly gives you an insight into what you need to do the next time.

Many times I have snapped something with my iPhone, entered it and came a close 2nd or 3rd (out of more than 3 haha) by the time the votes are in.

Exactly, and providing we have two threads possibly as stickies - one for the photo and one for the discussion (to keep the photo thread clean) and it is discussed in the discussion thread the device/touching up work if any, then we are all good.

No need to over complicate it, three weeks of collating photo's before closing the entries and open the poll. Winner then chooses the topic for next month.

I am more than happy to write up the rules thread and work with staff to get the first months under way.
I would suggest for the first month topic we went with anything goes just to get people out snapping :)

Can you link directly from it into a post with the image?

I have just PM'd little_pob with some rules.

I am happy to take this offline to email/messaging to finalise the first draft?

I'm at work and not the most knowledgeable about photography so I'll stand back unless I can be of any help.

My wife is semi professional... currently training as newborn photographer..
It means I get to use her 700D so would enjoy posting the odd attempt at photography

To add to that I know a fair amount due to the amount of research I did before purchasing my wife's camera (or at least I think I do) so can help out there where I can...
Also got a few superb links to compare images taken by different camera to help in purchasing decisions !!!

Just tell me what I have to do :)

I will sort it out

Mick

Sent on the go!

Back