do these USB digital receivers work well?

Colin

Inactive User
Reaction score
anyone got any experience USB dongle and antenna? do you actually get a decent picture or is it just a gimmick?

they dont like working with the crappy aeriel they come with, but with a roof areil they work fine

there will be an adapter in the box that lets you plug the ariel in.

i used one of these last year to watch the world cup at work. Was ok with the desktop ariel, but much better with the roof ariel

av got 1 and i find the wee aerial works well sitting at my window mind you am 4 up but a think there great for the price

I have used one of these on my laptop and received a lot of channels, it was a blue one from argos made by happauge.

on the 1 i had i needed to disable my anti virus and use a main ariel for scanning the channels as u have a far better chance of picking all the channels up , then its pot look i think to where u are ,

I just got one for £20 inc p&p on Ebay. With cheap aerial, Belling-Lee aerial adaptor, remote control and CD.

"Prosoloo" (Chinese company) - so hopefully can be used for dumping data?

-rapido

I've had one for over a year and travell all over the country building and erecting digital broadcast antenna's. I stay in digs a lot but have yet to find anywhere that I can get a signal using either the indoor antenna supplied or even a amplified antenna I have bought (and I have bought a few) If you are in a built up area you must have a outdoor antenna at this moment in time I am sitting in a caravan less than 1 mile from a broadcast antenna even with the provided antenna at the window the signal is crap but as soon as I connect to the outside antenna everything is great. I can start watching a film go and cook my food come back and carry on watching it but be aware you need a lot of spare disk space to do this

That sounds pretty cool - yes I s'pose the "Mickey Mouse" aerials are more for show than utility (good to bundle an extra item in when selling something), but I s'pose they would work if you right next to a main transmitter!

Wonder if it would work in my caravan? But I am probably 20 miles from the transmitter! Luckily have an outside Yagi.

-rapido

PS Wow - broadcast engineer? My dream job!

little freecom USB model is quite popular and works with a lot of 3rd party apps - I find it pretty good

I advise not using one on a laptop due to bad experience...
I have fount that they are very easy to break.

The freecom one is very good on XP, but didn`t work with vista. no driver support either on the freecom site.

the one I got was a digivox ( yes a digivox ) works a treat.

Back