DM800HD Clone - Fan Mega Noisy

yiddo

Inactive User
Reaction score
This morning my fairly new 800HD Cpu fan started to get very very loud, like a medium pitched noise, almost like a whine. It used to be almost slient, so its definately on its way out.

Whats my best option ?

With it being only a few months old, could I get a replacement fan under warranty ? Should I replace the fan myself (best and cheapest place would be appreciated) or can I run the box with the fan disconnected ?

Thanks.

This morning my fairly new 800HD Cpu fan started to get very very loud, like a medium pitched noise, almost like a whine. It used to be almost slient, so its definately on its way out.

Whats my best option ?

With it being only a few months old, could I get a replacement fan under warranty ? Should I replace the fan myself (best and cheapest place would be appreciated) or can I run the box with the fan disconnected ?

Thanks.

mine did same this morning only does it wen cold its fan m8 ounce fan warms up its fine btw on skysports etc wot %signal do you get i only get 75% on skysports2hd etc got triax 1.1meter motorised

mine did same this morning only does it wen cold its fan m8 ounce fan warms up its fine btw on skysports etc wot %signal do you get i only get 75% on skysports2hd etc got triax 1.1meter motorised

Mine unfortunately has nothing to do with being cold, I've not used it any differently since I bought it. It's still sitting making noise as I speak and thats been almost 1 hr its been on.

SS2 HD is 70% and SS2 SD is 68% - If I get any higher I get picture breakup and jumping. I still get it but no-where near as much now.

The fans look very low quality although they do a good job cooling but can be be noisy when the bearings start to go faulty.

Might be worth seeing if you can source your own better quality fan from somewhere, only thing is standard PC fans use a 3 pin header..DM clones use a 2 pin header.

Just checked on fleebay cheeky fookers selling replacment for 10 quid...theyre only worth 2 or 3 quid tops...

30x30x6mm Fan with 2 pin connector.. Might be easier and cheaper to either.

1. remove the internal fan and use a laptop cooling pad powered by the usb port on the rear of the box.
2. use a larger low rev fan screwed to the underneath of the dreambox case, and maybe mod it to use the scart pin so it switches off on standby.

Last edited:
my one has been noisey for the last few weeks, today i opened it up, took the fan out, remove the round sticker on the fan and added some lubricant to the spindle.

I have been using it for the last few hours and this seems to have done the trick!!!

I recommend this fan. I have changed my noisy fan with this one and it is very quite compare to the one that came with the box.

Well my box accepts three pin fans! Se the photo.

ss853961.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
you can probably chop the 2 pin conenctor of the old fan. Then chop the £ pin connector off the new fan and join up the 2 pin connector to the new fan, the 3rd wire is a tacho, used to report fan speed doesnt need to be connected.

Worked a treat, thanks. :Clap:

Tested this on another dm800 clone with noisy fanbearing on power up. Used cheap 3 in 1 oil and instantly fixed the issue, fan is now totally silent, fantastic...simple but effective fix..

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Back