DM600 or DM800? Need advise..

goral

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Being new to this forum, I'd like to ask for your expertise on the Dreambox topic.

I'm about to buy a new box but don't know whether to go for DM600 or DM800. Please note that I will be buying a clone due to the low price, and I know I'm taking a risk here but I'm prepared to do that. Also, to get more proper answers, I would like to add that I own a Full HD tv.

Anyhow, here are some points I've read about in other threads, but didn't find any good answers to.

1. Weak tuners in DM800. Does DM600 suffer from this too?

2. Secondstage seems to be a hot topic where people face problems updating their bootloaders on the DM800. Does the same apply DM600? As far as I understand, the DM800 uses a SIM card to do som manufacturer checks which is a bit of a hazzle, but the DM600 doesn't use this method right? Is it or will it be a considerable problem for DM800 owners?

3. Is there any difference in picture quality on SD channels between these two boxes?

4. Is the plugin support more or less the same for both?

5. Does the smaller memory size in DM600 matter when it comes to "regular usage" of the box?

6. I read that the DM800 has possibilities of acting as a media center (e.g. playing .mkv files). Would like to hear some opinions of how good it is.

7. Anything else I need to consider before deciding on which one to buy?

Would really appreciate if someone could help me out with these questions.

Hi M8

The DM600 is not a HD box.

Fezzy

Hi M8

The DM600 is not a HD box.

Fezzy

Hi Fezzy,

Yes, I'm actually aware of that.. But I'm willing to skip the HD support if it means that it will save me a lot of trouble. My impression so far is that DM600 is quote stable from start while DM800 users tend to have problems with tuners, bootloaders, heat problems, etc.

So please let me know if you have any answers to my questions.. The more the better of course, but I'm not expecting a single person to answer all of them. :)

Got my Dm800 clone for just under £175 over a month ago, and it has been absolutely awesome! Takes a little getting used to the new setup (enigma2) but once you've settled down, you wont look back!

An original dm600 will set you back around £180, so if you can get a dm800hd clone for less than an original dm600, i know which route i'd go down!

Got my Dm800 clone for just under £175 over a month ago, and it has been absolutely awesome! Takes a little getting used to the new setup (enigma2) but once you've settled down, you wont look back!

An original dm600 will set you back around £180, so if you can get a dm800hd clone for less than an original dm600, i know which route i'd go down!

Well, but on the other hand I can have a DM600 clone for £95 which is almost half the price of a DM800 clone. :)

So what's the justification for getting a DM800 in this case? HD support only?

id get a dm800 clone as you'll only end up wanting to get one in 6-12 months time once you have a dm600

i have tuner / hd channel issue on mine but thats only like 8 channels but only sky sports 1 hd of any real importance but im under impression a new tuner / dish re-alignment should correct this for me

its upto you whether or not you feel another 80 is worth it for HD channels

also dm800 plays MKV HD files though im yet to get it to play xvids yet always crashes

can you please pm me were you got your DM800 from for £175 ?.

I brought a clone dm600 for £110 about 10 months ago and it has been as good as my original dm600 for which I paid £180. From what telewestum is saying my understaning is that I might as well buy a clone dm800 instead of an original dm600 as I will get the same from either box. Looking at the price of the two boxes it seems that it is worth taking the chance with the clone dm800 wether or not you have tuner problem with a few of the channels.

As far as I understand though, the DM800 clones require SIM card updates to be able to install the latest bootloaders. Have seen quite a few threads where people are having problems with this. My understanding is that DM600 owners don't have this problem.

Hi M8

If you are going to get yourself a clone and not too bothered about hd
for now, why don,t you have a look at the Eagle box. Its a DM500 clone
and got loads of support. I have one and have never had a problem with it.
They sell for £79 and are very good as a starter box. Then after you have
had it a while and got used to using a linux box, upgrade to a HD box.
For myself, i started off with a TM8 1500 and then to a dm7020 ( original )
got used to that, then to a Eagle. Then i had a good look round and did
not fancy the dm800,s ( original or clone ) because of the problems they
were having, so a couple of months ago i took the expensive plunge and
bought a DM8000 and not looked back since. Its doing my head in at
times, but thats part and parcel of a hobby.

Fezzy

Back