DIY fitting a Velux roof window ?

bilabonic

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi All

Looking at having a go at fitting a Velux window in my tile roof. I have put floor down in the attic, insulate between rafters with kingspan, power and lighting in.

I have purchased the Velux (78x98cm) along with the correct flashing kit.

I will need to cut a rafter and obviously build a frame to support it (4x2).

Has anyone else fitted one or got any tips.

I understand you do not cut the row of tiles at top of the window and any others i can easily cut with my diamond disc cutter.

Cheers

I would get a roofer involved as you can have serious problems.
I got a couple of local guys to fit mine and needed to get a roofer in after.
I would get a price for roofer first?

A good roofer will do the lot for you no need to get some one in to do the window then the roof!

and tbh Velux are not that hard to fit instructions are very good inside and their customer services are also very good if you run into any issues.

A good roofer will do the lot for you no need to get some one in to do the window then the roof!

and tbh Velux are not that hard to fit instructions are very good inside and their customer services are also very good if you run into any issues.

Your confusing me guys, what you mean get someone in to do the window then the roof ?

I just want to fit a velux in my existing roof.

I will dig out the instructions i think as the online ones are not good.

The only thing that confuses me is where the windows sits in the rafters, is it level with them or just below or above ?

Cheers

hi mate first off all you need the section of tiles striped back were the velux is going next you will need to cut a section of rafter out to the lenght of the velux plus you will have to bridle over the rafters to support the rafter that has been cut out its not hard to fit but hard to explain,as for the level of the velux there are 4 corner brackets which fit into a groove in the velux window that then sites on the sarking then fixed with screws ,if you have msn i can talk you through it.

Agree let a roofer do it m8,better safe then sorry,and in the long run it could save you a lot of manoey from the start.

forget the roofers
Look from the inside where you wish to place the window
check the rafters site the window and mark out
Now open up the roof
You can do this from the inside but ensure below is clear and have someone there watching remove a tile from the inside (bash it out )
now remove more tiles pulling them inside and keep them safe
after you have removed more than enough tiles for the size of window ( try to leave the batons in place to be cut back after you line out )
cut the rafters back they need to be square !!! Now mark out And Then line the hole out with the same size timber your rafters are made ov
Now you should have a square hole slightly larger than the frame
assemble the window fit brackets etc and remove the GLASS ..
put the frame out the hole on an angle so it will go out lol and then slot into place fix
checking its level and square !! Important if ya don't wan it to pee in
Now fit the flashing's and tiles tbh there's good destruction's relating to all types of tiles with the flashing kits (i assume you purchased the correct one )
you are best to position where as you would have a full tile resting on the top flashing but tbh it never works out just right so there ok to be cut just make sure the cut tile is not like 2" or something lol
with a disk cutter a nice sharp saw a hammer and nails and good pal helping 1/2 a day tops for a 1/2 enthusiastic diy bod

Last edited:
Cheers mike and primo, was wondering about how they calculate to have a whole tile at the top ?

So does the window actually sit on the main rafters or batons (via the 4 corner mounts) ?

Think i will have a bash myself as 'seems' simple enough.

Cheers

Well fitted it today guys, taken me and mate 5 hours. Broke a few tiles but had enough spare from the hole. Also had to cut both sides of tiles and left full tile on top.
What was awkward is that every tile was nailed, on the bottom tiles i cut and drilled new holes and fitted extra piece of baton.

I did find the flashing a bit fiddly but if i ever fit another one i would prob do it a LOT quicker now.

Just finishing off the kingspan which is a nightmare compared to the velux.....Messy, itchy horrible stuff.

The views are amazing and i can see cornwall, mumbles area. :banana:

Cheers for giving me the bottle to go ahead.

Off out to a bbq for a well deserved bevvie or 20

:proud:

wicked
well done that chap told ya there no to hard to do :Clap:
did you bash though lol I was 1/2 expecting a barrage ov heath and safety crap for mentioning that , But it saves the cat ladders and farting around wid any ladders @ all in fact ....
5 hours is good going thb on ya own for a 1st try as ya say now ya done one there simples i don't do that fiberglass shite anymore there's loads of better alternatives now we mostly use some foam ridged boards now we use a battery rip saw to cut the long bits it takes seconds , its so easy to cut by hand but ya get a better job quicker lol
i think there ecotherm or something like that
out of mine i can see the pennines there will be snow on them quite soon i expect lol

Cheers promo mate, i hit though and smashed first tile, done the rest by standing on my inflatable pool which is all boxed up and wobbly as f*ck...ha ha

I also found putting the glass in a potch and i had to stand outside on roof to hold it with mate inside.

I am using Quinn 50mm boards between rafters (same as kingspan but lot cheaper)

Got them wedged in nice and tight with silver foil tape at the joins which is awesome stuff.

Can i just fit normal plasterboard now or do i still need foil backed stuff ?

Cheers promo mate, i hit though and smashed first tile, done the rest by standing on my inflatable pool which is all boxed up and wobbly as f*ck...ha ha

I also found putting the glass in a potch and i had to stand outside on roof to hold it with mate inside.

I am using Quinn 50mm boards between rafters (same as kingspan but lot cheaper)

Got them wedged in nice and tight with silver foil tape at the joins which is awesome stuff.

Can i just fit normal plasterboard now or do i still need foil backed stuff ?

just use normal plasterboards m8......the foil on the foamboards is enough to reflect the heat back into your loft

Well fitted it today guys, taken me and mate 5 hours. Broke a few tiles but had enough spare from the hole. Also had to cut both sides of tiles and left full tile on top.
What was awkward is that every tile was nailed, on the bottom tiles i cut and drilled new holes and fitted extra piece of baton.

I did find the flashing a bit fiddly but if i ever fit another one i would prob do it a LOT quicker now.

Just finishing off the kingspan which is a nightmare compared to the velux.....Messy, itchy horrible stuff.

The views are amazing and i can see cornwall, mumbles area. :banana:

Cheers for giving me the bottle to go ahead.

Off out to a bbq for a well deserved bevvie or 20

:proud:

You better check with your planning office as well if your making it into a living area as you have to obide by certain fire regulations. Most loft windows are top hung or MOE means of escape to allow exit in case of fire.

In fact some councils require permission just to fit a velux, they do in my local council.

Also did you get the electrics signed off by a JIB certifcated electrian as if you havnt your house hold insurance is invalid.(obviously only if you have done proper electrics and not replaced a light bulb lol) You do need to be JIB certificated to do nearly anything apart from replace existing.

When you put the floor in did you replace the rafters or re enforce them as most lofts are not made to be walked on permantly they are only there to support the ceiling as otherwide over time you will get bowing and all the ceilings below will crack

Last edited:
It is only for storage mate and not classed as an extra room. I have followed regs though with regards insulation, MOI of window, used 4x2 to beef up floor with hangers (regs is 6x2), i am a sparky and not jib and it would pass no probs.

The flooring is SOLID though, i asked about planning and as long as i am not looking onto a main road i am fine, i can not see my neighbours complaining anyway.

At the end of the day though it is not classed as a living area.

Back