Digital SLR Camara advice

Without any cashback offers running also concider D1100 body only plus Sigma 18-200mm f3.5-6.3 DC Lens - Canon Fit (777927) - wex photographic for about £480.

Just reading through the post again, Thinking this Sigma 18-200mm is the telephoto lens to go for but looking at the one with the OS Lens
Sigma 18-200mm f3.5-6.3 DC OS Lens - Canon Fit (888954) - wex photographic

Can't make my mind up but am I right in saying that the zoom on this is 11x (200mm/18mm) and a better option than the Canon 55mm - 250mm IS

There looks to be at least 4 "hot pixels" on sensor of that camera :( If you zoom in on the circled areas in the attached rared .jpeg you'll see a pixel that is brighter than the others, this carries across both pictures. Before you start reaching for the box to return the cameras, hot pixels are "normal" on long exposures (annoying all the same though). However, if you are getting them on images that are less than 1-2 seconds long get in touch with Canon to see if it is covered by your warranty.

Just reading through the post again, Thinking this Sigma 18-200mm is the telephoto lens to go for but looking at the one with the OS Lens
Sigma 18-200mm f3.5-6.3 DC OS Lens - Canon Fit (888954) - wex photographic

Can't make my mind up but am I right in saying that the zoom on this is 11x (200mm/18mm) and a better option than the Canon 55mm - 250mm IS
To be honest I'm not familiar with how the zoom number is calculated. I came from an fSLR background rather than a digital compact, so it's just not something I've learnt the relationship of.

The 18-200mm Sigma should be better than the 55-250mm Canon, for a start it's "faster" (i.e. has a lower f-stop), but it is in itself still a budget lens. By which I mean the pro's don't like such super-telephotos (even) as they tend to suffer from barrel distortion, pin cushioning and chromatic aberration plus soft spots in the focal range are not uncommon. Don't get me wrong they are great beginner and hobbyist lenses, they take up less room that a short zoom and a telephoto would and they can take good photos, but it's up to you whether you want to spend £250+ on a lens you may replace if your hobby gets serious. (i.e. Look on ebay to see what the resale value is ;) )
...And also I'm going to get the Canon EF 50 mm f/1.8 II Lens ...

My next lens purchase is supposed to be a "fifty 50" - i.e. a 50mm "prime" lens with a lowest f-stop of at least f/2 (preferably f/1.8 if not f/1.4). I've actually got an old f/1.4 50mm K mount, but it's got a fungal infection so is isolated away from the rest of the photographic equipment until I get round to sorting it out with a >24h stay in the freezer and a bath of isopropyl alcohol :grayno:

Attachments

• hotpixels.rar
    7.5 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:
There looks to be at least 4 "hot pixels" on sensor of that camera :( If you zoom in on the circled areas in the attached rared .jpeg you'll see a pixel that is brighter than the others, this carries across both pictures. Before you start reaching for the box to return the cameras, hot pixels are "normal" on long exposures (annoying all the same though). However, if you are getting them on images that are less than 1-2 seconds long get in touch with Canon to see if it is covered by your warranty.

You've got a much better eye than me, was it easy to spot them?

Only spotted them on the full res images, but 4 pixels are an easy fix in photoshop etc.

Followed this article here step 8
10 things to test before buying a used DSLR | ADIDAP

Couldn't get the dead pixel analyzer working, just kept diyng when loading an image but for the life of my I can't see any hot pixels on the 1 and 2 second exposures.

in the mean time my 50mm f1.8 turned up today (£76 delivered amazon marketplace) , not played with it yet though but had a mad ebay day today

Got a Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM and Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 IS for £255 delivered and for some reason got this Sigma 55 mm - 200 mm F/4.0-5.6 for £45 delivered

Hopefully should all be here before the weekend so I can have a play :)

Back