Digital SLR Camara advice

DiamondGeezer

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Wanted one for a while and going to take the plunge soon and going to go for an entry level Cannon EOS 1100D

Jessops have got theses 2 bundles

Canon EOS 1100D in Black with 18-55mm DC Lens £370
Canon EOS 1100D - 5161B030AA - Jessops - Digital SLRs

Canon EOS 1100D in Grey with 18-55mm IS Lens £385
Canon EOS 1100D - 5164B010AA - Jessops - Digital SLRs

Is there a lot of difference in the 2 lenses as I would prefer black

Also is it worth paying the extra £110 (total £480) and going for this one at Currys with an additional 75-300mm lens
CANON EOS 1100D Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm + 75-300mm lenses buy online | Currys

IS stands for image stabilisation. And literally means the lens has a built in image stabiliser. DC is possibly the AF motor type. In which case the tech predates the current USM (ultra-sonic motor) lenses, and may explain why it's found on their budget and kit only lenses.

Like a lot of DSLRs, the D1100 has a APS-C sized sensor. This means, to get the 35mm equivalent, you multiply by a factor of 1.5. Therefore an 18-55mm lens gives the same zoom as a 27-82.5mm lens would (the nearest 35mm equivalent is actually 28-80mm). A 75-300mm lens becomes effectively becomes a 112.5-450mm.

To buy the Canon EF 75-300 mm F4-5.6 III lens separately you'd be paying around £200. Whilst the IS lens is technically the better of the two, and the Currys bundle doesn't come with this, you are going to want a tripod to use the 75-300mm at the upper zoom ranges anyway - which may make the image stabilisation part less important to you. Just note you will be "missing" 30mm of zoom with those 2 lenses.

This has the IS lens, is in black and £379 delivered: Canon EOS 1100D Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm IS II Lens (5161B023AA) - wex photographic (use quidco for some cashback).

Without any cashback offers running also concider D1100 body only plus Sigma 18-200mm f3.5-6.3 DC Lens - Canon Fit (777927) - wex photographic for about £480.

Last edited:
Canon look to have at least 5 different 75-300mm f4-5.6 lenses: III, USM III, IS USM, DO IS USM and L IS USM. Only the last three (the most expensive models) have IS.

Currys state to be supplying the III version:
dg.GIF
but if they send a different model then it'll be an upgrade.

Last edited:
Canon look to have at least 5 different 70-300mm f4-5.6 lenses: III, USM III, IS USM, DO IS USM and L IS USM. Only the last three (the most expensive models) have IS.

Currys state to be supplying the III version:
View attachment 64106
but if they send a different model then it'll be an upgrade.

OK, so IS is a must have I guess, the one I pointed out on ebay post #4 appears to the the same that Currys are packaging up

Because the 75-300mm f4-5.6 IS USM has the quiet motor with built in image stabilising, it's over £400 at Wex (who are generally one of the cheapest places without hitting ebay).

You only really need IS on quick scenes (e.g. sport) or in low light. As you can get the III version for £90, and because 75-300 lenses are generally used for things where you have time to setup (e.g. landscapes), that plus a tripod is a cheaper option with comparible results. A tripod is recommended for low light over IS anyway.

Though perhaps worth pointing out that there is also the 3rd party lens option too? Both Sigma and Tamron make Canon fit 70-300mm f4-5.6 lenses.

Understand now where your coming from with this one
Sigma 18-200mm f3.5-6.3 DC Lens - Canon Fit (777927) - wex photographic

Just been to Jessops, so with the above lens I would not need these two 18-55mm 75-300mm as the sigma 18-200mm covers both of these, well dose not quite hit the 300mm

On the other hand Jessops are doing this deal for £480
Canon EOS 1100D Mega Bundle - Jessops - Digital SLRs

However I can swap the 18-55mm DC Lens for the 18-55mm IS Lens for an extra £20 again there is no IS on the Tamron 70-300mm Lens

Just had a quick look at the IS wiki page :whistle:

Looks like IS is actually also useful for macro and other telephoto work (e.g. nature).

As it doubles the price of the 75-300mm lens, I guess the question is do you know what you'll be taking photos of?

(To be honest, I'd still chose a tripod over IS, but I do have the advantage that IS is built into the sensor of my Pentax DSLR rather than it being an optional extra on lenses.)

Just had a quick look at the IS wiki page :whistle:

Looks like IS is actually also useful for macro and other telephoto work (e.g. nature).

As it doubles the price of the 75-300mm lens, I guess the question is do you know what you'll be taking photos of?

(To be honest, I'd still chose a tripod over IS, but I do have the advantage that IS is built into the sensor of my Pentax DSLR rather than it being an optional extra on lenses.)

Hopefully should be getting a free tripod with this deal
Digital SLR Photography magazine 5 Issues and Free Hama Star 700 Tripod £5.00 - Hot UK Deals

Looking for a new hobby really so hence an entry DSLR so will start in the garden with flowers and insects so guess the macro on the IS would be quite useful. Holidays we go to this place so the tripod and 75-300mm lens would be useful

Camping en Normandie : L'Anse du Brick et sa plage de sable fin l'abri des vents. Photos, tarifs, rservation.

Also one of the kids has got a telescope so would like to hook up the camara to that using a Canon EOS T Ring and Celestron T-Adapter

Think I might go for this deal then
Canon EOS 1100D Grey Mega Bundle - Jessops - Digital SLRs

but see if I can get a black body rather than grey

Yes but I think there are others, I will have to speak with a m8 of mine over the weekend..

Was about to buy the 600D today at Currys and they had it up for £620, miserable git wouldn't price match Comet or Jessops for £600 so I left on principal. Was 3pm and store was empty apart from me and about 6 staff. Laughed they turned down 600 notes for the sake of 20

Anyway just as well as looking around when I got back home there are rumours of a 650D being released sometime soon so there could be a price drop for the 600D but depending on price of 650D I could be tempted with that

Still no news on the 650D so I went for the 600D, thing is a can of worms to me but did get out of auto mode and took some light trail pictures

Zad, only custom firmware I can find is Magic Latern and that is aimed more towards video.

Still no news on the 650D so I went for the 600D, thing is a can of worms to me but did get out of auto mode and took some light trail pictures

Zad, only custom firmware I can find is Magic Latern and that is aimed more towards video.

yes it is aimed at the video side but also has things like intervalometer built in etc great for night shooting... the magic lantern turns your £500 camera into a cheap pro camera...

did you get the night lights with the stock lens? if so you need to buy a better lens..

less exposure time on the night photos too and you will get better separation of lights..

and have a go at time-lapse and then move on to the awesome video 60fps it can do then there are plenty more options from that ;)

yes it is aimed at the video side but also has things like intervalometer built in etc great for night shooting... the magic lantern turns your £500 camera into a cheap pro camera...

did you get the night lights with the stock lens? if so you need to buy a better lens..

less exposure time on the night photos too and you will get better separation of lights..

and have a go at time-lapse and then move on to the awesome video 60fps it can do then there are plenty more options from that ;)

Yes it with the 18-55mm stock lens, need to start saving for a half decent lens, but will be a budget lens for the rest of this year so looking at the Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Telephoto

Exposure on the above image was 30 secs

this one was 15 secs and 15 minutes after sunset, still a lot of playing around but thanks for advice.

Thing the video on the 600d is 20-30fps, I'll have to check it out....not played with video yet

I would not waste your money on the 55-250 save that and get one with a smaller f/

"EOS Movie
EOS Movie allows users to record Full HD (1920x1080p) movies on the EOS 600D and HD (1280x720p) movies on the EOS 1100D. The EOS 600D offers full manual control of exposure and frame rates of 30, 25 and 24 fps at full resolution, with 60 and 50 fps available at 720p resolution. The EOS 1100D has a choice of 30 and 25 fps frame rates."

m8 of mine swears by the old 55mm lenses DF range I think they are as they have manual f/ rings...

2nd picture is way better imho

I would not waste your money on the 55-250 save that and get one with a smaller f/

Not much money in the pot and I want to try out a telephoto hence these look ok for about £130 Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II Lens

And also I'm going to get the Canon EF 50 mm f/1.8 II Lens

So both can be had for £200, I'm only learning at the moment so no need for expensive kit but if you can recommend something similar priced I'll take a look. Even second hand good lens with a smaller f number hold there money well

Mayby an L lens next year :Biggrin2:

Back