Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Difference between Linux and non Linux box

bennyben

Inactive User
Hi Total noob to the Sat scene

I used a DM500C and am moving to the SAT scene

What is the difference between a Linux and non Linux Sat box?
The advantages / disadvantages ?

Say a DM500S v blade 7000 / openbox s9

I'm not really techy, there were good userguides on the Cable scene and I was able to set up my DM500, Replaybox and Kyrptoview no probs and do some basic stuff like edit the bouquets / ftp into the box / set up streaming.

Cheers in advance!!

linux box can be used as client and server also there are lots of images that can be use and lots more addons
little harder to use but if you used a dm500c then you will be used to ftp and so on into root of box
the blades and the openboxes are closed source software but can still be used as server (openbox)
the advantages of the closed source boxes are there a little easier to use and setup
but cant install any addons
its really down to what you want the box to do

Spiderbox shares in cccam and newcs
Shares out newcs if you have card.
Has 12 month packages built in exc 28.2e
Has softcams for opening channels.
Has multi use remote for dvd/cable/sat/video etc.
Has excellent media player for films etc.
Can play films from pc.
Does endless tricks.
HD pic is excellent.

if you like to tinker, then get a linux box

if you just want turn on and watch an dont worry about any plugins etc then go for something like a blade 7000

Can play films from pc.
Does endless tricks.
HD pic is excellent.

Thanks Manic

Can play films from pc.
Does endless tricks.
HD pic is excellent.

Spiderbox is a good box to start with but most boxs can do all that too. Not slagging of the box as i have one !!

But can it now do auto update of full week epg? and add plugins and skins tbh i havet checked.

Like anthing really i had a spiderbox then dm800 now vu+ duo :)

:D

Does epg ok, plug ins are for linux stb.

I know lmfao but what made me move on is that epg is now and next only, and last time i got epg working was having to do it every week myself np for me but mum gave up.

So its still manual update then? might help bennyben decide :D

Not being mean and not wanting to upset anyone , but if you can change channels you can update the epg?

a simple no to my question would have helped lmfao. I dont think its hard and shown her many times but like anything not that way.
If life was a easy as changing channels lol she phoned and asked how to tune in the tv lmfao i said come on mum. (to much stress )

Anyway i only asked Np :D

Spiderbox is a good box to start with but most boxs can do all that too. Not slagging of the box as i have one !!

But can it now do auto update of full week epg? and add plugins and skins tbh i havet checked.

Like anthing really i had a spiderbox then dm800 now vu+ duo :)

:D

Many Thanks for the info Ja5

I think turn on no hassles to start and then tinker!!!

Mate coming from a 500C you may as well jump to a 500S or better, you will curse yourself if you get a Plug & Play and probably want to sell it inside a week LOL

Mate coming from a 500C you may as well jump to a 500S or better, you will curse yourself if you get a Plug & Play and probably want to sell it inside a week LOL

Yeah I'd prefer a DM500S just worried i won't be able to set it up!!

Back