Hardware DELL experience

edogg

Inactive User
Reaction score
I finally decided to buy the top of the range dell 13"xps from dell it took 10 days to arrive and after spending hours setting it up. I turned the backlit keyboard on and the number 8 key was not lit so i went through all the hardware tests built into it.I phoned Dell tech support and they tried to convince me that it was a design problem as the key board only has 2 leds so some keys don't light . I finally got them to agree to refund me and arrange collection, the packaging for the return was supposed to come yesterday,it didn't. Dell are supposed to collect the xps on Monday. In the mean time i purchased the same model refurbished from ebay the seller lives close to me , and delivered it yesterday afternoon. The keyboard and touchpad/screen became unresponsive after choosing any action the pointer jumped around the screen of its own volition.
Then it decided to update to win 10 1511 the same update that did not have drivers for the wireless adapter on my Medion laptop and sure enough when the update to the dell xps had finished there was no driver for the dell wireless adapter and as the xps does not have wired capability without an expensive extra adaptor i was not able to get the driver, so yet again I had to revert the dell to the prvious version of windows.
I then contacted the seller who came and collected it from me and refunded me the purchase cost.

Are all Dell computer's this "GOOD" not, or is it just my jinx again

Ive had 2 dells in my time. Both inspirions, the first one was excellent didnt have any problems with it whatsoever.

Sadly the 2nd one was not so good. I had a failed HDD, which dell replaced as it was under warranty. Within a month the new hdd failed, I called Dell who advised as the warranty of the laptop had now expired, I wasn't entitled to a new hdd. I explained that I had the hdd a month, and it should come with a warranty on its own.

They advised this warranty was with the drive manufacturer, and not with them,a nd if I wanted a new hdd I had to contact seagate. I point blank refused, and dell wouldn't budge. Surfice to say, I got another hdd from elsewhere, and replaced it without issue. However I have never bought anything Dell since.

HP laptop I have is excellent, but still not as good as my Macbook Pro :)

As a laptop technician and professional reseller i can say Dell is one of the 3 bests brands for me, Dell Hp and then may be Lenovo.

Back