Definitive mods for LED SIMM P&P conversion

AtmelAce

Inactive User
Reaction score
Here's the info - thanks to others for getting the ball rolling... You only need to remove the two 3k3 surface mount resistors and add 3 links. Any other mods you may have seen will have extra things done to them which are not really required.Please note, you will NOT be able to get IRD from the middle positon after you have done this mod.......
Both my versions are shown.

Hi
Nice to see your keeping us up to date
1 question why am i doing this mod
That is if i need too
Im hoping and guessing its instead of the soldering

i think what atmelace is sayin by doing this mod to the sim you bought off him, u wont have to solder on to the board, am i right Atmel ??

thanx atmelace - job done only problem now is i have 2 pnp simms LOL

Last edited:
Yes, this will convert your standard LED SIMM into plug and play- no soldering required. It's a tad tricky getting the simm in and reading it.The choice is yours.

TwoBeerCans. Your Nick requires you to have two.TwoBeerCans +TwoLedSimms so where's the problem? lol

excuse me if this a dumb question but after doing this mod to your simm card you then dont have to solder wires onto the main pcb on the nthell box to get the bk number or am i wrong.

I'm afraid it's a dumb question. As I said above, NO soldering is required. Just plug it into a box and away you go.

reckon i'll have to turn the led's round now - don't want to have to take the board out if i can help it!!

but then al the binaries would be back to front. when is someone gonna make 1 of these with a bin to hex convertor built in ??

TWOBEERCANS said:
but then al the binaries would be back to front. when is someone gonna make 1 of these with a bin to hex convertor built in ??
Funny you should say that........I toyed with the idea of converting mine. The circuit is easy, the components are readily available but to display a full bk would take a lot of 7 segment displays. Alphanumeric displays are dirt cheap now but are bulky
Switching could be acheived by the use of logic gates, the ird isn't necessary. The circuit would need a seperate board connected to the simm with ribbon cable, and ia seperate power source.
Aahh.........bu**er it. I reckon I'll stick with my Atmelace simm, might do the mod on it.
I must admit though that it would be fun to build it.
Don't know much about pc's but wouldn't it be easier to run the outputs of the simm through an a/d converter to the comp. A simple VB program could then display the hex.

Last edited:
Thought about all of that. Whilst it would provide a great deal of satisfaction and interest, it would not be commercially viable. also have a design with a processor on board, automatically capturing the IRD and BK and sending it off to a PC via comms port- in effect giving you the same as a JTAG + BKE/SDT. This has to be the ultimate luxury hobby project....

I have a led simm with a single push button does anyone know what mods need doing?

Many thanks

Hi again
Glad i was right
twobeercans y change the old led sim
I aint doing the mod ill just buy a pnp led sim
Cos i had a box not so long ago
that had wrong ird sticker in it.
After the mod what would i have done
The mod is cool but £20 is cheap 4 the new 1
And i could f**k the led sim up(too much heat)
So like twobeercans ill own get both in case
Especially if u had my prob as above again

crackerchalk said:
Hi again
Glad i was right
twobeercans y change the old led sim
I aint doing the mod ill just buy a pnp led sim
Cos i had a box not so long ago
that had wrong ird sticker in it.
After the mod what would i have done
The mod is cool but £20 is cheap 4 the new 1
And i could f**k the led sim up(too much heat)
So like twobeercans ill own get both in case
Especially if u had my prob as above again
You could check the ird in e/m.

Back