DBox Scan Problems

sloanefue

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Haven't needed to be on the site for a while, But I am having probs with a Nokia Dbox, tried several images from around April 08 time, some don't find any transponders and the one's that do only find about 60 channels and they are unwatchable due to freezing.

laky, Pacino find channels, Blade, exene no transponders.

I know the basics, but this is a new box and it could be an initial software problem.

Have I missed something?, my old one works fine with Xene image and don't want to risk re scaning mine.

I have had a look at most of the basic settings on my box and compared them to the new box and they are all the same.

Is there anything I can do before I try to return it to the supplier?

Your help is very much appreciated be myself (and my mum who it is for and she paid)

Thanks guys

Sloanefue

PS. A quick response would be good as our lass is on nights Fri and Sat so I can mess about untill I want to throw it through the window...:Kickassro

Hi Guys,

Haven't needed to be on the site for a while, But I am having probs with a Nokia Dbox, tried several images from around April 08 time, some don't find any transponders and the one's that do only find about 60 channels and they are unwatchable due to freezing.

laky, Pacino find channels, Blade, exene no transponders.

I know the basics, but this is a new box and it could be an initial software problem.

Have I missed something?, my old one works fine with Xene image and don't want to risk re scaning mine.

I have had a look at most of the basic settings on my box and compared them to the new box and they are all the same.

Is there anything I can do before I try to return it to the supplier?

Your help is very much appreciated be myself (and my mum who it is for and she paid)

Thanks guys

Sloanefue

PS. A quick response would be good as our lass is on nights Fri and Sat so I can mess about untill I want to throw it through the window...:Kickassro

Why dont you back up your image then flash it onto the other box.......that way all the settings will be identical, for sure.

First backup you image to your PC as follows,

using remote press
dbox
service
software update
(expert functions)
read one partition
flash without bootloader
a copy of your image is saved in the /tmp folder of your dbox and is called mtd3.img FTP into your box and save this file to your PC.

Now flash the image on to your mums box as follows,

FTP your backed up image ( mtd3.img ) to the /tmp folder on your mums box then,

using remote press
dbox
service
software update
(expert functions)
write one partition
flash without bootloader
select image ( mtd3.img )
press red to confirm
the image will be flashed in three or four minutes.

I have tried the image I have on my box, but not from my box if you know what I mean. It's on my pc from when I updated mine.

If I do the transfer as you recomend will it transfer other files that have been updated on my box, that were not in the image originally?

Does that make sense?

Sloanefue

I have tried the image I have on my box, but not from my box if you know what I mean. It's on my pc from when I updated mine.

If I do the transfer as you recomend will it transfer other files that have been updated on my box, that were not in the image originally?

Does that make sense?

Sloanefue

If you do the back up as I described then the copy made by the dbox will be an exact copy of the current setup of your box ( including all files, services, bouquets etc ). I'm assuming you also have a Nokia box and if so then all should be well.

Yeh I have.

One last thing if you don't mind.. I have been flashing using 2 ethernet cables, what do I need to connect my box to my PC..
Also I am assuming there is nothing going on with V and this is just an isolated problem I have?

Sorry I'm a little out of touch and older now, and gone are the days of the Elvis card programer for on digital.

S

Yeh I have.

One last thing if you don't mind.. I have been flashing using 2 ethernet cables, what do I need to connect my box to my PC..
Also I am assuming there is nothing going on with V and this is just an isolated problem I have?

Sorry I'm a little out of touch and older now, and gone are the days of the Elvis card programer for on digital.

S

The problem you have lies within the scanning capabilities of the images you have tried ( and probably also because you didn't set your location and reboot the box before scanning ). The latest images have the scanning fixed.

You need to use a crossover ethernet cable to connect your PC directly to your box or a straight eternet cable will do fine if you are going through a router.

I do set my location first, and I'm currently scanning with the latest image from this site. but it still only pics up 56 tv channels most of them BICS. Thats why I think it may be an initial problem with the box.

I will try to copy the image from mine, over the weekend.

Would you mind if I contacted you again if it fails????

many thanks for your help so far.

cheers

S

Try flashing with PaphosAL's latest image, the scanning is almost spot on in that one..........unless you live in County Meath in Eire !!!

Come back for more help when required as there are plenty of folk on here willing to help.

good luck

I must be half asleep tonight !!!

To get the channels onto your mums box simply FTP into your box to var/tuxbox/config/zapit and save your services.xml and bouquets.xml to your PC then hook up to your mums box and drop the two files into the same folder. Now using remote press dbox > service > reload channel list.

As for your freezing problem this will be due to a ucode / EMU combination issue.......If your box runs fine then check these settings and apply the same set up to your mums box.

Help....

This is a ball ache....

So I am still having problems...
I have done this (FTP into your box to var/tuxbox/config/zapit and save your services.xml and bouquets.xml to your PC then hook up to your mums box and drop the two files into the same folder. Now using remote press dbox > service > reload channel list.)
as requested but still no channels, when I scan the box does not find any transponders.

Are boxes different? I mean how come different images do different things?
Can I wipe out all the files from 1 box and transfere the files from my working box?

one big head ache I have.

Sloane

Help....

This is a ball ache....

So I am still having problems...
I have done this (FTP into your box to var/tuxbox/config/zapit and save your services.xml and bouquets.xml to your PC then hook up to your mums box and drop the two files into the same folder. Now using remote press dbox > service > reload channel list.)
as requested but still no channels, when I scan the box does not find any transponders.

Are boxes different? I mean how come different images do different things?
Can I wipe out all the files from 1 box and transfere the files from my working box?

one big head ache I have.

Sloane

Have you connected the cable feed back up m8?

Yeh
I am begining to think the box is dud
When I load the image I have on the working box it wont find any transponders. xenafan.
When I put the image which was on it originally it only loads 56 channels, no pic or freezing. Pacino.
I've swaped various files about from my working image but no luck.

I put on the latest image from this site but it does not find any transponders.

If anyone can help me please It's driving me mad.

Can some one post a list of checks to do and I'll tick them off, give you guys a better idea of what I've tried.

I'm now just flashing Laky pro image to play with..

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

It's like trying to chop wood with a hammer

You say you get 56 channels with pacino so put that back on go to a working channel and press red then blue and post your ber,snr and sig readings.

OK Guys I no it's difficult when you don't have the box infront of you. But here we go.

The Story....... recieved box plugged in switched on, Pacino image is displayed. Then an error message comes up No channels were found! Please execute a Scan.
1st thing I do is set my location to Teesside and box reboots. Then I scan. All services Virgin media fast scan off.
Finds 303 transponders. However it does not find any channels until about No 120 (If I remember right my box with the xenafan image on only finds about 30 transponders but all the channels no problems)
26 to 56 channels. most with no picture and also with freezing picture
ITV3 BER SNR SIG Bitrate
262143(Stable) 54255 to 55900(fluctuating) 43433(slight flucuation)2400 to 2700
Max 262143 56026 43690 6317
Min 100000 53970 43433 1121

I have tried everything that has been posted so far unless I am doing something wrong in the process (like restarting neutro at a set time etc.) I have tried to ftp all the files from my working image to the other box and managed to get a lot more channels but not all and they were freezing to. I have had the box stuck in Kernel loading and re flashed it.
I am a fast learner and have but need things explaining till I get the hang so if you have any ideas what to check or change I can hook up my working box to verify.

I don't understand why different images work differentlly??
When you flash are you completely overwriting the old image or is it like a comp when you upgrade there are stll old files there.

Could it be I bad coax connection in the box??

It started of as an easy solution copy the Bouquet and services file from the working box to the other one. I managed that after being self taught FTP. I even swapped Key files EMU files, ucode files to basicly deleting all files on the box and copying my working files. Now unless there is something more technical or I have not done this process right then I'm stuck.

I need more information...... FEEEEEEEED MEEEEEEE

Thanks

Sloane

The BER readings look very high, they should be as low as possible, even 0..... not sure if that is a problem !!

The most important reading is the SNR which needs to be above 55000 ( mine is above 62000 in ITV3 )

Try plugging in the cable feed direct to your box ie no splitters......if you have an attenuator in line then remove it.

Good luck mate

Rodboy

I don't see this being the problem as the other box works just fine with the same connection.

I think I am flogging a dead horse

Thanks

anymore suggestions please.

Sloane

ITV3 BER SNR SIG Bitrate
262143(Stable) 54255 to 55900(fluctuating) 43433(slight flucuation)2400 to 2700
Max 262143 56026 43690 6317
Min 100000 53970 43433 1121
Thanks
Sloane
The tuner is weak do as rodboy says and plug the feed from the wall straight to the box no splitters or attenuators and check the ber,snr and sig readings again if it improves and you get less freezing you need a booster get one from argos slx1p 9.99p

Last edited:
MMM Ok

I have just plugged my working box in and the SNR is 61400 plus and the BER is 400.

So yes there is a difference.

Can you expain why the signal is weaker on 1 box if they are wired up the same way??

Could this be an issue with the Box or are all boxes different ?

Do you understand my point they are bothe the same box with the same image plugged in the same way and yet 1 box is saying the signal is weak.

If someone could expain I would like to understand...

I have learnt more in the last 2 days from you guys than in the last year...

Thanks for your help so far..

You have a weak tuner in one box as Fergal advised mate..........go get the booster.

Well Thanks to everyone who has helped me..... You learn something new every day......

I'm still going to try and get my money back though..The way I think is the box should work without any additions.

Thanx again........

Sloane

Back