cross EPG not updating / getting stuck

grantsmith82

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi,
i have setup my cross egp to download update automatically around 1am. i gone on to my box today and i only have a handful of programmes the rest is missing (which is odd as i thought it downloads 7 days) so i should at least have 5days or so of egp.

i just tried to manually download it and it just getting stuck.

its reads channels upto 977? (i think) then reading titles... but gets stuck at 195kb

anyone got any suggestions? im only using "open tv" provider and 28.2E

it should work , nowt much to it really , sounds like u having a lot of problems with that box ?

after 4 or 5 attempts its finally downloaded.. not sure whats keeping it freezing tho prob why its not working on auto update timer as its freezing

(the tuner issue is with another vu+ clone) this ones an original Vu+..

The only time iv had issue is when I selected 28.2 and 28.4 together. Also next time try deleting the old epg.dat

The only time iv had issue is when I selected 28.2 and 28.4 together. Also next time try deleting the old epg.dat

what folder is epg.dat saved in
i will delete it and then download again to create a new epg.dat

EPG data is held in live memory, just deleting the EPG.DAT file will not work as it will simply be re-written. you need to kill enigma via a telnet session, then delete the EPG.DAT then wake enigma again by the same telnet session.

init 4 ( to kill enigma )
keeping the telnet session open navigate to the EPG.DAT file on the receiver and delete it.
init 6 ( to reboot enigma )

when the receiver reboots download the EPG again.

ok done that.. seems to be working now... thanks

Last edited:
yes just type init 4 and hit enter. this will put enigma to sleep.
then FTP to the receiver and delete the EPG.DAT file. once done issue the init 6 command

you can do numerous things on your receiver via a telnet session, it's a handy tool to get to know.

first time ive ever done it.. i had to enable it on control panel win7 1st then just used cmd telnet (box ip) then logged in using "root" and then issued the 2 commands
however i had already previously deleted the file so just init4 and init6 to turn it off and restart then tried downloading it again worked great.. :Cheers:

what other useful things can i do with telnet on the box?

you can manually update the image with this command

init 4 && opkg update && opkg upgrade && init 6

you can take a screen grab which is automatically saved to the tmp folder with the following commands.

Screen Grabs/Dumps
grab -o -p /tmp/grab.png [change grab to the file name you want it to be]
grab -d -p /tmp/grab.png [change grab to the file name you want it to be] with channel

lsusb - list all usb devices.

df -h
checks memory and storage stats.

nmap -sP 192.168.0.0/24
map network

kill enigma init 4
wake enigma init 3
restart box init 6

to name just a few.

thats cool thanks for that...

something else ive noticed tonight i have 2 boxes at home (vu+ original on vix 3.0 and a clone on vix2.4) and my dad has one box VU+ clone on vix2.4

now on my vu+ original when i press up or down on centre ring to bring up channel selection list i have the list of channels on the left hand side. tv preview top right, and bottom right NOW and NEXT programme synopsis (short paragraph about the programme)

on my dads clone 2.4vix on the NOW: its just repeats the title of the programme no detailed programme info. but the NEXT does have detailed programme synopsis.

now on mine clone 2.4VIX is the same as above.. (no details for NOW just repeats the programme title, however the details on NEXT programme is populated but the detailed synopsis is written completly different like its from another source.

we have gone through the menu options to compare settlings and all the same only taking epg source from "open tv 28.2" can someone tell me

a) why there is no synopsis details on "NOW" programme (also no details when going into graphical EPG list either)
b) why 2 boxes with same settings are providing different written synopsis about a programme (correct info just worded completly differently)

THanks

yes just type init 4 and hit enter. this will put enigma to sleep.
then FTP to the receiver and delete the EPG.DAT file. once done issue the init 6 command
Just a quick one, i'm also having a problem with EPG sticking when downloading, done what you said above but the EPG.DAT file is in media/hdd even tho it's set up to download to media/usb, is that correct ?

EPG data is held in live memory, just deleting the EPG.DAT file will not work as it will simply be re-written. you need to kill enigma via a telnet session, then delete the EPG.DAT then wake enigma again by the same telnet session.

init 4 ( to kill enigma )
keeping the telnet session open navigate to the EPG.DAT file on the receiver and delete it.
init 6 ( to reboot enigma )

when the receiver reboots download the EPG again.

I've managed the rest but how do I navigate to the EPG.DAT file?

Back