Credit payback loopholes

Hopefully this will make people more wary of borrowing money.
To be honest i thik it was stupid anyway.

Its just common sense,

Please can I borrow some money off you

Yes you can it will cost you this much

Ok thats fine

Oh i wont pay you back anymore because im greedy

If you cant afford the payments, dont borrow.
If you cant afford a flashy car, dnt buy it.
If you cant afford afford a 50inch plasma, dont buy!

Obviously, not everyone that borrows falls in the above. Some have family to look after and the benefits system is pish anyway and have no choice.

I've had debts that i couldnt pay back and my pride meant i wouldnt ask family for help. Dont mean i tell the people i borrowed off that i wont pay them. Just told them its difficult and need a payment plan...yes i broke payment plans, just told the banks the truth and they made another payment plan.

Hopefully common sense will now prevail.

Its just common sense,

Ok thats fine

If you cant afford the payments, dont borrow.
If you cant afford a flashy car, dnt buy it.
If you cant afford afford a 50inch plasma, dont buy!

Obviously, not everyone that borrows falls in the above. Some have family to look after and the benefits system is pish anyway and have no choice.

I've had debts that i couldnt pay back and my pride meant i wouldnt ask family for help. Dont mean i tell the people i borrowed off that i wont pay them. Just told them its difficult and need a payment plan...yes i broke payment plans, just told the banks the truth and they made another payment plan.

Hopefully common sense will now prevail.

My sentiments exactly,was big thread in here about it.

Its just common sense,

Ok thats fine

Excellent post m8. :Clap:

I find it more annoying that some people borrow £15k then pay back £5.10 a month as that is "all they can afford" or when they fill in budget sheets to show they spend £200.00 a month on housekeeping, £50 a month on fags, or better still take out a loan, claim they can't repay it then go and have 3 kids, like their cheap.

Quote:
Pathetic reporting.

Truly disgusting sensationalism from two people who appear to be on the banks pay role judging by the accuracy.

McGuffick HAD an enforceable agreement. The bank couldn't find the required documents in the timescales. McGuffick then through his CMC decided to file for a S142 judgment that the debt was thoroughly unenforceable (for some STUPID reason).

The bank after the case was listed found the required documents and it obviously made the whole thing enforceable again. In agreement between the CMC and the Bank they allowed the case to go forward nonetheless, identifying it as a test case - (remember the Salford Judge's comments about needing a few CCA related Test Cases to clear matters up fully and finally because obviously Wilson v FCT/Hutstanger etc isn't enough, well this piece of joke case was meant to be one of them).

Therefore the case hinged on 'basically' COULD a bank still transmit data to the CRF's during the period of it being temporarily unenforceable because of a S77-79 request.

The DJ followed the Rankine 'precedent' that taking Court action wasn't enforcement, and Flaux also added that he didn't believe adding derogatory info to CRF's was enforcement either.

The case was a complete joke and a complete waste of time. However there are another 5 to go that are listed and starting end of this month, or sometime in November which will actually DEAL with the pertinent issues hopefully. ie no agreement, no signed etc etc etc not whether some idiot goes for S142 like a greyhound because paperwork wasn't found in 12 days.

The quote by the esteemed idiots at the Times:

“Although the [Consumer Credit Act] may render the agreement unenforceable, the agreement remains a valid and subsisting contract and rights and obligations under it continue to exist”.

Relates specifically to being unenforceable temporarily via a S78 request, the valid, subsisting contract and obligations under it relates specifically to 3rd party transmittal.

I remember when journalism was meant to be a portrayal truth, education and where words like accuracy, ethics and reliability were drummed into you during training.

Obviously Mssrs Herman and Charles were busy that day.

Quote:
Wonder if my comment will be published

Folks, don't panic, it's shoddy reporting. I would suspect Mr Herman and Mr Charles simply received an RBS press release and then scurried for quotes from those who like attacking CMC's without actually doing any investigation first.

Basically the fact the article states 'proceeded on the basis the agreement was unenforceable' should tell you everything, when in the Judgment Para 3 states:

Quote:
It is not suggested by the claimant that the agreement was in any way improperly executed, so that sections 61, 65 and 127 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 are not directly in issue.

How any Judge could rule on enforceability WHEN the only section in the Act that deals with enforceability has been accepted by all parties as not applying to the case is for anyone's guess.

All the case looked at was whether transmittal of data to CRF's constituted enforcement. That's what the quote applies to, not that an unenforceable debt is suddenly still repayable. McGuffick's agreement was wholly enforceable, the only error was they didn't send the proper documentation in time, ie a statement of account. He then filed via his CMC to have it rendered unenforceable via S142 which was a stupid decision to take.

Nothing to see other than piss poor journalism.

source:a consumer site

So you can still claim apparently :)

Last edited by a moderator:
The reporting/journalism can be dissed all you want,its the fact its been thru the courts,and potential implications for anyone thinking of racking up debt without paying for it.

Which consumer site daveleebond? It all sounds very unfocussed and amateurish.

This actually changes nothing.

It has always been the case that an improperly executed credit agreement would only prevent a court from enforcing it.

That is still true.

Since both parties agreed that the agreement was enforceable the only point which was clarified was whether or not the creditor was allowed to register defaults with the credit referencing agencies (which they have always done anyway.)

Lol Are you lot still seething at emerald court success ? LMFAO Get from behind your curtains and get back to your day jobs. This judgement changes NOTHING AT ALL. No matter how much you want it to it means nada/nothing.
Carry on as you were.....nothing to see here children move along.
For anyone interested in the truth about the serious issue behind this the do a google search for the following "Consumer Advice Group". There are people there who actually have half a clue what they are talking about.

**Sorry if the above seems a tad strong but it really pee's me off the jealousy and self cantered views of some of the posters in this thread. They are now also guilty of spreading misinformation. I suppose the saying "A Little knowlege is dangerous" may apply:Chainsaw::licker::thumbdown:

Moving along from that rather silly cliche......I've been trawling some of the more serious financial sites and they all seem to agree with "The Times" on this one.

If you ask me to choose between them and some dodgy financial sites financed by ambulance chasers........ no contest.

**Sorry if the above seems a tad strong but it really pee's me off the jealousy and self cantered views of some of the posters in this thread. They are now also guilty of spreading misinformation. I suppose the saying "A Little knowlege is dangerous" may apply:Chainsaw::licker::thumbdown:

I have no debts am financialy secure, of course I'm jealous. Spreading misinformation from "The Times"? Doesn't everyone? :licker:

Moving along from that rather silly cliche......I've been trawling some of the more serious financial sites and they all seem to agree with "The Times" on this one.

The Times article implies that the ruling will have a bearing on proving the unenforceability of improperly executed credit agreements in court.

That isn't true.

The ruling says that a creditor is entitled to register defaults with the CRA's whether an account is enforceable or unenforceable.
That is pretty much all it says.

Which "more serious financial sites" is it that agree with The Times?

Might be a good idea for them to read the decision first.

McGuffick v The Royal Bank of Scotland Plc [2009] EWHC 2386 (Comm) (06 October 2009)

Lol Are you lot still seething at emerald court success ? LMFAO Get from behind your curtains and get back to your day jobs. This judgement changes NOTHING AT ALL. No matter how much you want it to it means nada/nothing.
For anyone interested in the truth about the serious issue behind this the do a google search for the following "Consumer Advice Group". There are people there who actually have half a clue what they are talking about.

Quite a defensive post to some extent,are you currently in the process of a claim?
Whilst you say it has no bearing,will this go the same way as bank charges and any future claims put on the back burner by financial institutions until the outcome.

Check out Emeralds post I did mines many many moons ago. I got a tad heated earlier due to the fact that this court case has no bearing on any of the existing claims going through the courts. Spreading info like this would put off others who may be in dire straights and even suicidal (Ive seen and read about many cases trust me) from at least enquiring into weather they can get themselves out of the mess that they are in.

As stated I have ALREADY done mines and had more £££ than Emerald out of it. Im not the type to gloat over it and im now financially "secure". I dont like credit/debt so i suppose i learned my "lesson". But believe it or not at one point in my life I was at near breaking point due to the stress that these vultures put me through. (It's too easy to say I shouldn't have had the £££ if I couldn't pay it back......but the sad truth is we NEVER know what is around the corner, I would rate the way my circumstances changed to a 50/1 shot winning the premier league ect ect. )
Like I said earlier Im at the other side but I do try to help and encourage others who may find themselves in a "bad place" due to no real fault of their own. Yes there are some who milk it but the flip side is the poor sods who have been given a raw deal by fate.

Ok my rant is over Im just glad to get it off my chest.:proud::proud::proud:

I'm currently in disputed over a bank charge,its been months and my intial claim,was waiting on the bearing of another case and still is.
Could potentially go the same way these agreements?

Been discussed on here,be quick looks like its over..................

High Court decision on debt loophole dashes write-off hopes for thousands - Times Online

The reality is it means nothing and didnt particularly serve any purpose.

The decision was effectively moot as the creditor RBS held an enforceable agreement which they held back (lis) in order to effect test case.

If you read the final decision you'll note many references to this point which is IMHO why it should not be considered indicative of a decision worthy of mention in future case law.

Still trying to understand why this was considered a suitable test?

Its done nothing to enforce the banks position and nor has it undermined a consumers position.

Unenforceable remains unenforceable remains unenforceable........ the machine will still try to convince you otherwise but this decision just enforced it..
Read for yourself PMSL

McGuffick v The Royal Bank of Scotland Plc [2009] EWHC 2386 (Comm) (06 October 2009)

Check out Emeralds post I did mines many many moons ago. I got a tad heated earlier due to the fact that this court case has no bearing on any of the existing claims going through the courts. Spreading info like this would put off others who may be in dire straights and even suicidal (Ive seen and read about many cases trust me) from at least enquiring into weather they can get themselves out of the mess that they are in.

As stated I have ALREADY done mines and had more £££ than Emerald out of it. Im not the type to gloat over it and im now financially "secure". I dont like credit/debt so i suppose i learned my "lesson". But believe it or not at one point in my life I was at near breaking point due to the stress that these vultures put me through. (It's too easy to say I shouldn't have had the £££ if I couldn't pay it back......but the sad truth is we NEVER know what is around the corner, I would rate the way my circumstances changed to a 50/1 shot winning the premier league ect ect. )
Like I said earlier Im at the other side but I do try to help and encourage others who may find themselves in a "bad place" due to no real fault of their own. Yes there are some who milk it but the flip side is the poor sods who have been given a raw deal by fate.

Ok my rant is over Im just glad to get it off my chest.:proud::proud::proud:

Are you sure ?

CAHOOT £4,968

LLOYDS TSB BANK £2,075

HFC BANK CREDIT CARD SERVICES £10,317

HFC BANK CREDIT CARD SERVICES £2,060

EGG BANKING PLC £6,811

CABOT FINANCIAL (UK) LTD £6,887

MINT £2,214

CITIFINANCIAL EUROPE PLC £1,450

1ST CREDIT LIMITED £1,996

1ST CREDIT LIMITED £4,674