Im looking to upgrade my CPU witch at the moment is:

Name: Intel Pentium 4 550
Code Name: Prescott
Package: Socket 775 LGA
Specification: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.40GHz

Motherboard:

Manufacturer: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD
Model: MS-7091

Im wanting to know what CPU's my motherboard can handle?

Dual Core? Quad Core? i3,i5,i7?

Can anyone suggest a CPU for me?

Thanks

Last edited:
MS-7091 M-ATX Mainboard
Mainboard Specifications
CPU
Supports Intel® Pentium 4 Prescott LGA775 processors in LGA775 package.
Supports up to Pentium 4 3XX, 5XX sequence processor or higher speed.
Supports Intel Hyper-Threading Technology.

here is your mainboard manual

dont think you will get much mor in the way of a precessor for your mainboard mate. will need a new one methinks.

The 915P chipset could in theory support this,

Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 672 supporting HT Technology (2M Cache, 3.80 GHz, 800 MHz FSB)with SPEC Code(s)SL8Q9

But it would depend on your PC BIOS. Also I am going to say that you will not notice much of a speed increase.

Realistically you are looking at a new motherboard tbh.
here is your mainboard manual

dont think you will get much mor in the way of a precessor for your mainboard mate. will need a new one methinks.

Thanks for the reply guys yea i was thinking i might need a new motherboard... I have had this computer for a while and she's done me well but i think its time to move on.

What do you think i should go for AMD or Intel?

I am biased because I have one but I would recommend a black edition quad core AMD.

Mine is overlocked to 4ghz on air cooling for a few degrees temp rise.

Awesome chips

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Alright guys,

Im looking to upgrade my CPU witch at the moment is:

Name: Intel Pentium 4 550
Code Name: Prescott
Package: Socket 775 LGA
Specification: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.40GHz

Motherboard:

Manufacturer: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD
Model: MS-7091

Im wanting to know what CPU's my motherboard can handle?

Dual Core? Quad Core? i3,i5,i7?

Can anyone suggest a CPU for me?

Thanks

You are better off investing in a new motherboard and then a new processor. I just built a new computer worth £370 for £170 -

new motherboard with hdmi graphics £40 - ebay
processor £50 (AMD Athlon 3 core unlocked to a 4 core) scan computers
dvd rw - £20 scan computers
Case and power supply - £35 xcase
Card reader £5 scan
Memory £20 ebay

You are better off investing in a new motherboard and then a new processor. I just built a new computer worth £370 for £170 -

new motherboard with hdmi graphics £40 - ebay
processor £50 (AMD Athlon 3 core unlocked to a 4 core) scan computers
dvd rw - £20 scan computers
Case and power supply - £35 xcase
Card reader £5 scan
Memory £20 ebay

Wow those site's are cheap thanks mate you have given me a new task! Build i new computer again lol been a while since i done it.

Think i might go for AMD this time been with Intel for years.

Right here's what im thinking point out anything wrong:

Case
PSU - What Voltage will i need to run this lot?
Motherboard
CPU
RAM - ill most likely get 4 sticks of DDR3 1GB
DVD-R
Graphics Card - Already got one (Plus theres on board graphics on the motherboard)

Anything you can suggest?

Also what PSU would i need to power this will 500 do?

Thanks

Right here's what im thinking point out anything wrong:

Case
PSU - What Voltage will i need to run this lot?
Motherboard
CPU
RAM - ill most likely get 4 sticks of DDR3 1GB
DVD-R
Graphics Card - Already got one (Plus theres on board graphics on the motherboard)

Anything you can suggest?

Also what PSU would i need to power this will 500 do?

Thanks

Please delete dunno why it posted Twice?

Last edited:
Power supply

I would go with 500

Motherboard

I have been buying Gigabyte with HDMI graphics on board as they are cheap and easy to install and run and unless you are thinking of gaming the graphics are more than adequate. I bought the 880GM-D2H

CPU

Definitely AMD and I like the Athlon II x3 as it unlocks to a x4 core easily with the Gigabyte board.

DVD-R

I went with a cheapy from Scan computers SATA also buy a few extra SATA connectors unless you have some.

Power supply

I would go with 500

Motherboard

I have been buying Gigabyte with HDMI graphics on board as they are cheap and easy to install and run and unless you are thinking of gaming the graphics are more than adequate. I bought the 880GM-D2H

CPU

Definitely AMD and I like the Athlon II x3 as it unlocks to a x4 core easily with the Gigabyte board.

DVD-R

I went with a cheapy from Scan computers SATA also buy a few extra SATA connectors unless you have some.

I like the motherboard might get that one instead haha

I forgot to mention hard drive, as I had a 1TB SATA it slipped my mind. But you can use IDE or SATA with that board. I prefer SATA but if you have a good hard drive that you can use - save money!

I forgot to mention hard drive, as I had a 1TB SATA it slipped my mind. But you can use IDE or SATA with that board. I prefer SATA but if you have a good hard drive that you can use - save money!

Yea just had a look and i think ill get 1TB SATA hard drive aswell as plug my old hard drivers in witch are 2x 250GB that will give me a banging 1.5TB :SHOOTING:

If you have any problems let me know maybe I can help, great fun building your own!

If you have any problems let me know maybe I can help, great fun building your own!

What do you think of this for a build?

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-880GM-UD2H
CPU: AMD ATHLON II X3 455 AM3 Is this the one you was on about unlocking to x4?
PSU: ATX 550W PC GAMING POWER SUPPLY
RAM: 4GB DDR3-1333 PC3-10666 1333MHZ DIMM x4

And a 1TB hard drive still looking for a nice quiet case with good cooling.

Also could you share some information about how to unlock the x3 CPU to x4?

Thanks mate

That's the one, and that is very similar to my build. It runs like a dream!

I bought this case and it is extremely cheap, but a great case

HERE

Last edited:
The utility you need is called Easy Tune 6 from Gigabyte, once you have your pc up and running download it from Gigabyte HERE

It is at the bottom of the page EasyTune 6 for AMD. Install and follow instructions - easy peasy.

Also install CPU-Z from HERE anfd this will give you all the info re your CPU. Run it before EasyTune6 and you will see your CPU info.

Once you have run EasyTune 6 and restarted your machine, run CPU-Z and see the changed, unlocked core will now read Phenom II x4.......

Last edited:
The utility you need is called Easy Tune 6 from Gigabyte, once you have your pc up and running download it from Gigabyte HERE

It is at the bottom of the page EasyTune 6 for AMD. Install and follow instructions - easy peasy.

Also install CPU-Z from HERE anfd this will give you all the info re your CPU. Run it before EasyTune6 and you will see your CPU info.

Once you have run EasyTune 6 and restarted your machine, run CPU-Z and see the changed, unlocked core will now read Phenom II x4.......

Nice can't believe it's that easy! Well im ordering all the part this week so hopefully within the next few weeks ill have it up and running and ill let you know how it goes.

If i get any problems ill post back here.

Thanks for you advice!

Back