Couple of BMW 5 Series issues

The Dentist

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hope you guys can help me.

Ever since the big freeze, my windscreen washer thing has been on the blink. nothing comes out to clean the window so i checked under the bonnet and a little tiny hose thing was disconnected (the ater was piling up inside) so i reconnected it up.

It worked for about 30 minutes then stopped working again. checked under the bonnet and it was still connected. I can get a little bit of water coming out tho to just about clean windscreen yet i get full pressure on the headlights. Also, when i pull on the stick to get the washer out it wont work, only works whn i press the button at the end of the stick.

Also, when i last took it for a service, the guy said that the water / antifreeze tank was nearly empty but no light came up so i didnt know which is strange as theres sensors all of the place for everything. He said he filled it up.

Tonight when i check antifreeze, at least i think its antifreeze, the bottle was nearly empty, again no lights on the dsh.

PS: temp gauge is normal, no overheating.

Could it be that theres no antifreeze left and water has frozen and broken one of the windscreen washer pipes?

Any ideas before i part with my cash?

Ok nearly got this sorted. Just filled that empty box with water, whatever will be will be.

Messed about with te hoses for the wiper and its working all ok. Only thing is, the water only sqirts out if i press the button at the end of the stick and not if i pull it towards me like it normally should. However if i pull it, i can hear something trying to work.

Any ideas?

Find the washer bottel and disconnect pipe, work back wards towards jets checking for blockages as you reconnect things.

That bottle you filled with water, That is your expansion tank me thinks and will have a max level marked on it, dont go over that.

If your losing water then check for leaks ;) Blue cystals around pipes are signs of anti freeze weeping out.

Find the washer bottel and disconnect pipe, work back wards towards jets checking for blockages as you reconnect things.

That bottle you filled with water, That is your expansion tank me thinks and will have a max level marked on it, dont go over that.

If your losing water then check for leaks ;) Blue cystals around pipes are signs of anti freeze weeping out.

Think you may be right lol it is the expansion. Have traced it as much as i can, no freezing. It works ok now but only when i press the button. it dont work when i pull the stick. you reckon it could be electrical?

Well i've put in about a cup full of anti freeze in the washer bottle.

Care putting anti freeze in screen wash, it can mark the paint work if you mix it too strong, far better use screen wash itself ;)

Yeah sounds very much like the switch is goosed mate.

Only a little bit should be ok.
only screenwash i had was renault branded that would have killed my car lol so didnt bother using that!!

Only a little bit should be ok.
only screenwash i had was renault branded that would have killed my car lol so didnt bother using that!!
confusing m8 screen wash is screen wash

even the cheep £1 for a bottle will work
the screen wash has antifreeze added

confusing m8 screen wash is screen wash

even the cheep £1 for a bottle will work
the screen wash has antifreeze added

was only kidding lol. nah screenwash went in screenwash but thought might have been frozen so just emptied it and filled it with water and a little bit of antifreeze. im not a mechanic but i like breaking things lol so thought id experiment with that.

asked one of the mechanics and they said only a little bit shouldnt be a problem, will have him look at it later on, im fixing his laptop so he will be fixing my car :p

Only thing is, the water only sqirts out if i press the button at the end of the stick and not if i pull it towards me like it normally should. However if i pull it, i can hear something trying to work.

The button on the end of the stick is for the intensive washer, the smaller reservoir on the left of the engine bay (on my 540) while the lever pull is for the main washer bottle.

Could be a leak somewhere, check for water under the car after trying it.

BTW: I have had to replace the main pipes to the screen washers as they had perished, they don't last for ever ;)

Ok worked out what it is. Currently using the intensive washer because there are 2 tanks for washer jets (give hem that for their backup stuff). The main tank has the pipe disconnected.

Only problem is i cant find the bloody the thing. Anyone know where the main washer tank is? the pipe where you top it up goes all the way under the engine somewhere :(

EDIT:

Took it to the garage to ask him where it is, he goes that the motor might be gone, the tank might need replacing it could be anything and he will need to take the wheels and the front wing off to have a look and its a BIG job!! (I reckon its just a connection)

Last edited:
Back