Coronavirus pointless payments

hackmax

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about all the things we are paying for that we can't use at the moment, other than Sky Sports.... ;)

In the news I saw an article about how nursery were charging £420+ a months still to 'hold a child place' even though they are not open and staff salaries been covered by government... Doesn't affect me (single, no kids) but shows a complete piss take....

but at the moment I am paying for example car insurance, but not driven anywhere, road tax (again). There should be a lot less car accidents at the moment so the insurance co's should be offering rebates.

Anyone else paying money for things they can't make use of?

Aye, my pick up insurance (for work - self employed) I renewed it on the 28th of March the pick up has never moved well before that, diesel is supposed to be the cheapest for a long time ATM as well.

AND if I'm entitled to any payment from the government I have to wait 3 months FFS.

I had read about that in america @river4ever can't see that happening here.

You can sorn your car and get your tax back if you aren't using the car, and resart it when you do @hackmax. Insurance is different as you need cover in case it gets nicked etc.

Paid my Golf club yearly fees a week before lockdown... :(

SORN does not work if you have to park in the street.

For insurance:

Yeah your car could get hit by some other driver when parked etc.

I wasn't suggesting a full refund, but a rebate like the US ones if your not driving. Maybe a reduced cover (not covered if your driving) would suit me tbh. but the insurance companies are too greedy.

I was thinking about all the things we are paying for that we can't use at the moment, other than Sky Sports.... ;)

In the news I saw an article about how nursery were charging £420+ a months still to 'hold a child place' even though they are not open and staff salaries been covered by government... Doesn't affect me (single, no kids) but shows a complete piss take....

but at the moment I am paying for example car insurance, but not driven anywhere, road tax (again). There should be a lot less car accidents at the moment so the insurance co's should be offering rebates.

Anyone else paying money for things they can't make use of?

My daughter has the same problem she has to pay her child minder for the place not the child care. Its not just in this situation CV19 either if the child minder can not have the children through illness, holidays she still has to pay the full amount. Even on public holidays such as bank holidays xmas etc she obviously has no need to take them to child care but still has to pay in full.

This particular child minder aint that reliable either taking time off when she likes causing turmoil for working parents but she still gets her money. 8 Children in her care at £225 a child and she can abuse it like that. Its wrong. This child minders husband was in hospital for 5 weeks during that time no child care was provided but my daughter still had to pay over a grand to keep the place.

A fairer system would be if the child minder can not take the children through her doing no payment should be made if it the parents that dont take the children the still have to pay. This way the child minder carnt take the piss.

I've paid out for my mine and my sons season ticket to the football for next season!! We aint even finished this season yet.

Paid for next seasons season ticket just before they cancelled mass gatherings lol

Who knows if we will have a league to go watch anytime soon.

My daughter has the same problem she has to pay her child minder for the place not the child care. Its not just in this situation CV19 either if the child minder can not have the children through illness, holidays she still has to pay the full amount. Even on public holidays such as bank holidays xmas etc she obviously has no need to take them to child care but still has to pay in full.

This particular child minder aint that reliable either taking time off when she likes causing turmoil for working parents but she still gets her money. 8 Children in her care at £225 a child and she can abuse it like that. Its wrong. This child minders husband was in hospital for 5 weeks during that time no child care was provided but my daughter still had to pay over a grand to keep the place.

A fairer system would be if the child minder can not take the children through her doing no payment should be made if it the parents that dont take the children the still have to pay. This way the child minder carnt take the piss.

Is she legally allowed to look after 8 children at the same time? AFAIK it's a 3 child limit, although im not that versed with child minding. I read the same article as hackmax, and was astounded, but day care/child care know they can do it, as people will struggle to get back into nurseries once this madness has finished.

We used to send my daughter to Montessori nursery, and it was £50 for half a day! She went twice a week, but once we moved it wasn't possible for her to go to the nursery due to the distance. We placed her in another nursery, which if im honest seemed more like a meat market than a nursery. There were so many kids there, and lots of staff, I just never felt comfortable her going there, and that was £380 for 4 days a month, these were full days with food etc.

With regards to car insurance, that is now and always has been the biggest con in the world. It's money for old rope. Insurance companies are not going to waive anything atm, as they're getting slammed for payouts from companies etc, also their stock market price has plummeted by 50% or so. I work for an extremely large UK insurance company, and their share price has drastically fallen. Luckily they're not laying anyone off that I know of. I know that Admiral has sent all their staff home from call centres on full pay for the foreseeable future, and just moved their operation to India, or they have outsourced the work to other companies.

A little known fact about car insurance, is that your insurance will go up more from a non fault accident, than it will from a fault accident. This is to do with how they work out the insurance, and the psychology of the driver who's involved in a non fault.

Is she legally allowed to look after 8 children at the same time? AFAIK it's a 3 child limit, although im not that versed with child minding. I read the same article as hackmax, and was astounded, but day care/child care know they can do it, as people will struggle to get back into nurseries once this madness has finished.

We used to send my daughter to Montessori nursery, and it was £50 for half a day! She went twice a week, but once we moved it wasn't possible for her to go to the nursery due to the distance. We placed her in another nursery, which if im honest seemed more like a meat market than a nursery. There were so many kids there, and lots of staff, I just never felt comfortable her going there, and that was £380 for 4 days a month, these were full days with food etc.

With regards to car insurance, that is now and always has been the biggest con in the world. It's money for old rope. Insurance companies are not going to waive anything atm, as they're getting slammed for payouts from companies etc, also their stock market price has plummeted by 50% or so. I work for an extremely large UK insurance company, and their share price has drastically fallen. Luckily they're not laying anyone off that I know of. I know that Admiral has sent all their staff home from call centres on full pay for the foreseeable future, and just moved their operation to India, or they have outsourced the work to other companies.

A little known fact about car insurance, is that your insurance will go up more from a non fault accident, than it will from a fault accident. This is to do with how they work out the insurance, and the psychology of the driver who's involved in a non fault.

I understand there are 3 registered child minders looking after the 8 children 2 of them are employees working for the main women.

I understand there are 3 registered child minders looking after the 8 children 2 of them are employees working for the main women.

Yeah that makes sense. I only know as an ex's sister used to be a child minder, so she always said she could only mind x3.

One of the UK's biggest motor insurance companies, Admiral, is giving a £25 refund to customers as cars and vans sit idle in the coronavirus pandemic.

The payment will be paid automatically to anyone with a car or van insurance policy with Admiral on 20 April
Insurer to give £25 refunds as cars sit idle

Cars and vans need a run out on the road to keep things moving or brakedown assist will love you more.

Back