Conservatory - Plasterboard

Exos

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Question for peeps.

I saw something strange yesterday and I had heard this, but to set the reasoning, I have a full glass conservatory all the way around with the exception of the main entrance wall from the inside; anyway I was at my friends house yesterday and he's plasterboarded/skimmed over the glass parts on one side to create a "pseudo" wall, he had suggested this to me before (for at least one side), but I didn't ask or say anything because I thought it a little odd, and it actually doesn't look half bad (he's mounted a TV), but it got me thinking it wasn't such a bad idea but I do have some concern's/questions.

• Would this not cause condensation between the board and the internal glass?
  • How does this work with the butt up to the ceiling? I.E with the angle of the roof.
  • How do you hide seeing the plaster board from the outside (on mine and his it's not too bad because it backs onto another house but there is a small gap which you could get down if needed), but there is the possibility to take it around to the visible areas. Could I use some special paint (i.e bathroom) so that it doesn't fade, crack, peel etc? layer it with some kind of black/white film?
  • If I did how could I ensure it didn't peel off afterwards behind the board?
  • Could I technically wire in behind it if needed?

I'm having some french doors fitted going out to it (opening into the conservatory, so the wall and floor is getting ripped up anyway, but I was considering this.

Last edited:
you could put some blackout film on the glass before you board it ?

the plasterboard to use would be Duplex board, it has a foil backing to help with condensation (vapour board)

:)

duplex-FS-500x500.jpg

Nice one, I was just thinking a little more, i guess I wouldn't technically need to plaster over it seal the join with tape and simply paint it white etc.

depending how many boards/ how many joins you have
you could plaster it or you could buy Taper Edge boards and just tape & joint the joins, rub down and paint

Taping%20and%20Jointing2.jpg

Not that many I don't think, we are only talking 8 2ft'ish panels at the most.

Taping the boards reduces the possibility of condensation (from skimming) but you also get a multi-layer foil insert between glass and board, or even Kingspan if there's enough space...

You shouldn't get any condensation, unless you do already ? I take it the glass is a double glazed unit ?

easiest and cheapest solution is to paint the glass on the inside first with a colour that matches the conservatory ,a couple of coats should do it,dont worry about brush strokes as it will be ok from outside,then basic foiled backed plasterboard, about £40 should cover it,ive done this before and its quite effective, after you paint the glass and you go outside and look dont worry when you see gaps as when the plasterboard is fitted it blacks it out and you get a nice finish on the glass.

Not in the panel - between the panel and the plasterboard...

Yeah I know mate :) what I meant was if the glass is not suffering condensation (ie: a failing unit) a plasterboard partition/wall should not cause condensation if Exos leaves some ventilation between the 2

Gotcha :) Ventilation is the key!

On Exos' last point - can't see any reason you couldn't run cables in the void although best if they are between the plasterboard and the insulating layer...

no chance of the double glazing unit failing , due to interior work. i make them and fit them for a living,a small air vent as bronto suggested will let the air circulate and prevent any mould between cavity

Back