computers vanished

Status
Not open for further replies.

digidude

Sheep worrier.
VIP Member
Reaction score
can anyone help with a wierd problem

i have a small network set up. wireless dlink 4 port router wired to an XP desktop pc (with printer), xbox and satellite reciever. it also wirelessly connects to a 98se laptop. everything was working fine, internet on both, print from both, xbox can view files from both and access live and sat reciever could access net.

the missus was on the laptop the other day and said that she couldnt print. since then the main pc has gone from the network. its connected to the router ok as its showing a 100Mb LAN connection and i can access the routers setup from there but its not showing the laptop, the laptop cant see it or the printer and the xbox cant find it either

any help would be great

DD

right i sorted it

my computers decided to throw a full wobbly on me, its the first 'original' disc that ive used, ever, and it ferked them both up. i instelled the new norton suite and it ferked up everything, it took 4 1/2 hours to uninstall from my main pc and still throws random errors on the lappy even though its not there any more

i hate computers lol

I am having major problems with the Norton Suite at the mo, when it does a virus scan, the trojan and attack blocker, block everything. Until I reboot.

ZA will be going back on!

I found the last fer versions of Norton to be poo!
if it detects a virus it doesn't know what to do with it.....

capdan said:
I found the last fer versions of Norton to be poo!
if it detects a virus it doesn't know what to do with it.....

They have iut detecting virus's now :Hit:

That'll teach you for using origional discs...... I had the same probs with 98 / xp mix networks, they're just a pain in the a**e If your laptop is a lowish spec then I'd go with 2k as an os with sp4 and the roll up installed 98 was never really int3ended as a networking OS. I stopped using Norton a long time ago, it sucks big time. McAffee or AVG free are good AV solutions and if your behind a router with NAT then a firewall isn't really necessary to stop intruders getting in just to stop outward traffic. If you're using xp the inbuilt firewall is adequate, and post sp2 its even better. For the 2k machine I'd go with Zone Alarm or McAffee.

i had to remove that norton to be able to access the network again.

Nortons is crap steer well clear last time i used it i lost all me data on boot drive would not entertain it again even if they gave me a free copy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back