Compulsory car insurance law change 'won't work'

DiamondGeezer

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
New laws are coming into force which will make it illegal to keep a car uninsured, even if it's not being used.

Drivers will face a £100 fine and potentially have their car seized and destroyed, unless the vehicle is certified as off the road.

From today, the DVLA is including information about the changes when it sends out reminders for road tax.

The laws come into force in England, Scotland and Wales in late Spring.

It's previously only been illegal to drive uninsured, but critics say the new laws still aren't enough to put people off.

Phil Brown explained to Newsbeat why he drove with no insurance for a year.

'Ridiculous' premiums

"I decided to do it because I really didn't have any money."

The 25-year-old welder from Lincolnshire says he simply could not afford to pay the premiums insurance companies were quoting.

"I got a few insurance quotes and they were absolutely ridiculous prices," he said.

"So I thought, 'I should be all right, we'll see what we can do.'"

While he says he felt ashamed for driving with no insurance, he admits it wasn't until he got caught that he did anything about it.

He said: "Every month I was planning to get my insurance, get another quote and another quote.

"I'd plan to do it and put money aside and then other bills would come up."

'Slap on the wrists'

Phil says driving without insurance was a nerve-wracking experience "I was always looking in the rear-view mirror," he admitted. "There were a couple of touchy times, but I ended up coming out on top."

Eventually Phil was fined and given six points on his licence. He reckons he got off lightly.

He said: "I presumed that if I got caught I would get a fine, I thought it would be heftier than it was.

"I thought I'd probably get a ban, but I managed to get lucky.

"It was a slap on the wrists. I realise now that it was the wrong thing to do.

"I've paid the price for it, but luckily for me the price wasn't as big as it could have been."

New laws

Roads Minister Mike Penning told Newsbeat the new laws were designed to put people off driving without insurance.

"It is only £100 to start with," he said. "If you [still] don't insure the vehicle we will come to you again.

"This time we won't accept the £100 fine and we will take you to court."

But road safety campaigners say the plans do not go far enough, and Phil agrees.

"I don't know if it'll put people off driving without insurance," he said.

"With the laws not really changing for people that are driving without insurance, if they don't care I don't think it'll make much difference to them.

"I don't know if it should be a ban. I think that would be a bit extreme.

"The government should look more at reducing the cost of insurance to the consumer."

Phil is now insured through his company and says he feels much better being properly covered.

"I'm more aware of it now," he said. "I'm covered up to the eyeballs on everything.

"If something goes wrong I'd want it paying for, so I make sure now I've got insurance for everything."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/12614090

so youll have to pay a monsterpremium for a car that dont get used, and the excuse for the high premium will be 'because of all the uninsured drivers' so now insured non drivers will be paying for those instead

by 2015 only the rich will be able to afford a car

The way things are going, you could afford to buy the car, but you can't afford to insure it or put fuel in it, unless your an MP. :mad:

personally i think it is another way to get rid of all the cars over 10 years and the cars that people are doing up like cherished cars and the like

Am I reading this right? if i want to declare my car off the road on my private driveway i now must have it insured ? if im not driving it or taxing it to use on the road what the ell does it have to do with them if i want to take the risk that it gets nicked? this country just gets worse everyday!!!!

swanny

sorry just noticed the part "unless its registered as off the road"

As it stands,if you are pulled up by the cops and have no insurance,your vehicle is immediately taken from you to a recovery compound on police orders.From there you pay a statutory charge to the recovery company to regain your vehicle,plus a storage fee which increases every day that it is impounded.Add to that points on your license.This can add up to quite a large sum - and it still doesn't deter the non-insured

why would you want to insure a car that is not on the road? fekin rip off

you can certify it as being of road so not a problem on a driveway as i read it

Problem is....

say like me you have your car taxed... insurence due and you cant afford to run the car for a bit.. so you don insure it..

still taxed... just sat on the drive collecting dust. (i have a motobike as well btw)

so im now gonna get fined for not insuring a car im not using on the road..

or the other side of the coin.. say the car needs repair and no point insuring it till you have fixed it... why declare sorn (and loose a part month of tax.. may only be a day or two but you have still paid for it ... ) as its not being USED on the road..

Back