codecs for watching hd/blu ray on pc

benny hill squad

Inactive User
Reaction score
hi, im trying to watch a downloaded blu ray film and the sound is out of sync, i have got various codecs installed like cole 2k media, k-lite and cccp pack. it will only play on media player classic, does anyone know how i can get this mkv file to work properly?

ive never had the audio working properly but picture is good, it is that graphic card ive got on pc, maybe its not good enough then? but it still shows resolution like blu ray! i may aswell buy a new graphics card soon then, you read the post about seeking graphic card and someone recommended one from ebuyer, that should deffo work then u reckon?

@ beady - graphics card is 6200 agp.
coreavc is purely software and does not need the gpu to decode. I only manage 720p. Having said that - I have never actually seen a 1080i x264 bluray rip posted on the newsgroups so 720p is all I need.
plus my LCD has a res of 1366x768 so cannot display 1920x1080 anyway.
It can take a 1920x1080i input - but whats the point?

@benny hill squad.
If video looks good and plays smooth then i'd say coreavc is doing its job.
coreavc does not do anything with the audio stream.
most x264's come with a dolby digital soundtrack.
Is ac3 filter working - do you get the icon pop up next to your clock on the task bar??
possibly soundcard issue?
whats your CPU usage?
I have Ac3filter setup to not decode the audio - it just passes it thru my spdif to the amp.
uninstall/reinstall ac3filter

Last edited:
@benny: If the playback was smooth, then I doubt a new graphics card would fix it. Still worth getting for the dvi output though. What was the message that came up when you tried mplayer? Was there any video or audio running? And did you put those codecs I mentioned into the mplayer codecs folder? The codecs are mplayer specific, and don't get used by anything else, so there's no problem leaving them installed.

@Sparky: That explains it, I was starting to get jealous about you being able to run 1080p. lol.

the message coming up on mplayer was "your pc is too slow" then a huge list of possible causes including audio probs etc. i put the codecs in same dir as mplayer in the empty folder for codecs.

Did you get audio or video displayed though? Even if it says it was too slow, then you should still get something displayed. If you've tried it with the codecs in the proper place (I think it's in the mplayer/codecs folder), and it still doesn't work, then I don't think I can help you, sorry. Just to check, what resolution is the video (720 or 180)?
You could always give VLC a try, but I wouldn't hold your breath.
Good luck

edit: I don't know how to cut and paste (not used windows in a while), but you could take a screenshot.

Last edited:
As I said before, if media player gave smooth playback, then I don't think the PC spec is the problem. But I'm out of ideas as to what it could be. And also, if the audio was just out of sync, it doesn't really sound like a codec problem either. If you didn't have the right codecs, you'd get no audio at all, not just slightly delayed.

Sorry.

well it says my pc is too slow so it must be the pc, maybe the resolution might go further i dont know but i want a new graphics card any way for dvi output etc. thanks everyone for lending a hand i appreciate it. im gonna keep all them codecs etc for the near future when new card is on pc and ill let u know what happens @ sparky and beady cheers.

Back