codecs for watching hd/blu ray on pc

benny hill squad

Inactive User
Reaction score
hi, im trying to watch a downloaded blu ray film and the sound is out of sync, i have got various codecs installed like cole 2k media, k-lite and cccp pack. it will only play on media player classic, does anyone know how i can get this mkv file to work properly?

hi, im trying to watch a downloaded blu ray film and the sound is out of sync, i have got various codecs installed like cole 2k media, k-lite and cccp pack. it will only play on media player classic, does anyone know how i can get this mkv file to work properly?

Whats the res of the movie you are trying to watch? if its 1080p then maybe your pc cant cope. I find Media Player Classic is the best to play .mkv's using just cccp. My pc cant play 1080p rips but play's 720p & 1080i fine using the above.

it may be that you have coreavc installed - but it is not being used to decode the video.
if you have ffdshow installed click start->allprograms-> ffdshow->vfw configuration.
make sure h264/AVc is disabled. coreavc should kick in then and decode your movie.
I manage to play 720p x.264 stuff on a 2500+xp processor with this codec.

get rid of all the codec packages
all you need is
ffdshow (h264 disabled)
coreavc
haali media splitter
ac3 filter.

are you playing a 25gb bluray movie or a 4.5gb x.264 bluray rip??

Last edited:
if that doesnt work then I'd blame the mkv file that you've downloaded.
x264 bluray rips are the only movies I watch now. All on a lowly athlon Xp2500 barton with 512mb ram using MCE2005 running a 37" lcd via vga @1368x768/85hz.

I've just been reading your other thread about graphics cards for LCD screen. You mention that you've currently got a geforce fx card in the PC. Is this the same machine you're trying to watch the HD video on. If so, then the card is probably a bit under powered for larger HD videos. This is probably the problem you had with MPlayer. As far as I know, the FX line of chips didn't have any support for video decoding, so everything is done in software. This is pretty demanding for hi res HD files.
That said, if you got it to play okay before in media player, and the only problem was sound out of sync, then something else must be wrong. It might be worth checking what sort of CPU load you get when playing the video. If it's above about 60%, then you'll get skipping and other problems.

@Sparky: What gfx card are you using for that. It sounds pretty impressive. With my setup (linux), I can watch 720p fine, but 1080p is too much, despite my card supporting it (nvidia linux drivers don't support the h264 decoding that the windows version does, so everything is done in software :( ).

Last edited:
Back