OS Cloned Image and sid

hatab

VIP Member
VIP Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi just a quick question but a bit of background first.

In the past i have used ghost (floppy version) and/or active@drive image to create backup images of my systems once built to keep safe and they have worked when ever needed ie hdd fails or hdd upgrades etc.

Now i have 3 identical machines, i have built one installed o/s updated o/s what a ballache installed all drivers and a few of the needed apps that all 3 will need and created an image, as a base.

What is different now the images i have created in the past have all been machine specific and if needed have gone back onto the original machine.

Now i want to install the base image on the other 2 machines and then each will have different things done from this point on....i assumed id be able to run newsid4.1 or whatever it is at now and all would be well however having a search for newsid i find it doesn't work with win7/8 and there seems to be so much misinformation on the net.

Many say use sysprep with the generalize option set, however there are loads that say they have tried this and it trashes the o/s rather than sort the sid. Seem sysprep needs to be run much earlier than most want to run it.

Now the quick easy question

Does anybody have a name of util or quick way of reliably changing the sid on a win 7 system that will be added to a domain ?

TIA

Back