Cinema films 'at seven-year high'

earwig999

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
UK cinema admissions in 2009 were at their highest level since 2002, the Film Council has revealed.

Box office attendances have varied in the past seven years, peaking in 2002 with a total of 175.9m admissions and dipping to 156.6m in 2006.

Last year, UK cinemas admitted 173.9m customers, with takings at a record £944m.

Blockbuster movies such as Harry Potter, Twilight and Avatar helped entice people back to the cinemas.

Strong performance

The total UK gross box office of £944m was up 11% on 2008.
Combined with takings made in the Republic of Ireland the box office exceeded £1bn for the first time.

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince was the highest earning release of the year with takings of nearly £51m.

James Cameron's movie Avatar, although it was only released in December, is continuing to perform strongly in its fourth weekend on release and could go on to exceed this figure.

Last year was also the second best year on record for money spent on production in the UK, with a total spend of £956.9m, 56% higher than 2008.

Chief executive officer of the UK Film Council, John Woodward, said the film industry is "weathering the recession well".

He added: "Taken together, these box office and inward investment numbers show how film in the UK has moved from the margins back to the mainstream, helping sustain jobs and promote the UK's place on the international stage.

"British cinema-goers are voting with their feet - they want to see big event movies, many of which depend on outstanding British talent and are made in the UK thanks to our reliable film tax credit."

TOP 10 FILMS RELEASED IN UK AND IRELAND, 2009
1. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince - £50.72m
2. Avatar - £41.00m
3. Ice Age III - £35.02m
4. Up - £34.42m
5. Slumdog Millionaire - £31.66m
6. The Twilight Saga: New Moon - £27.08m
7. Transformers: Revenge Of The Fallen - £27.06m
8. The Hangover - £22.12m
9. Star Trek - £21.40m
10. Monsters Vs. Aliens - £21.37m

BBC News - Cinema films 'at seven-year high'

TBH I think it might be to do with a lot more films coming out in 3D.
Avatar, Ice Age 3, Up and Monsters Vs Aliens all in 3D.

Shock horror....what happened to "digital piracy will be the ruin of the movie buisness".

brilliant. "piracy is killing hollywood" - bollocks

People are a lot more fussy nowadays too. I don't know of many people that enjoy watching cams, when they can wait for a decent TS to come out about a week later.

Also cinema ticket prices seem to have not come down, but not gone up. I remember going to see Jurassic Park and paying about £5 for a ticket and it's still the same now. If not cheaper with the offers you can get like 2 for 1 on Orange. Plus the seats are much comfier and more spaced out.

Last edited:
It's not just the amount of bums on seats, but the price of them.

It routinely costs me, the missus, and our daughter £50 to watch a film at the local Odeon (including drinks, popcorn etc).

Admittedly, they are the premier seats, but it's still a lot.

So I don't feel guilty when I grab my dvdrips. Sorry!

I also try and go to the cinema to support indie/limited releases, and watch the explosions at home.

going to the cinema ain't cheap anymore and i'm only in my 30's. it used to be a cheap form of entertainment but too many local cinemas have closed down in favour the megasuperplex type cinemas. like mozr said, take the kids to see a new film and it's a £40 trip.

Back