Cigarette vending machines banned in England

totalgenius

Inactive User
Reaction score
The sale of tobacco from vending machines has been banned in England, with anyone caught selling cigarettes in machines facing a fine of £2,500.

The Department of Health said the ban had been introduced to prevent under-age sales to children and to support adults who were trying to quit.

The rest of the UK is expected to implement a similar ban next year.

Some pub landlords say it is a further threat to a livelihood that has already been damaged by the smoking ban.

But Cancer Research and the British Heart Foundation have welcomed the move.

According to the Department of Health, nearly all adult smokers started smoking before they turned 18.
'Unsupervised'

Of the children who regularly smoke, 11% buy their cigarettes from vending machines.

It is also estimated that 35 million cigarettes are sold illegally through vending machines to children every year.

Under the new rules, pub landlords will still be able to sell cigarettes from behind the bar but they must ensure all tobacco advertising on vending machines is removed. Any person found guilty of displaying cigarette adverts on a vending machine could face imprisonment for up to six months, a fine of £5,000, or both.

Health Secretary Andrew Lansley said smoking was "one of the biggest and most stubborn challenges in public health", with more than eight million people in England still smoking, causing more than 80,000 deaths each year.

He said: "Cigarette vending machines are often unsupervised, making it easy for children to purchase cigarettes from them.

"The ban on cigarette sales from vending machines will protect children by making cigarettes less accessible to them - we want to do everything we can to encourage young people not to start smoking in the first place."

Jo Butcher, the National Children's Bureau's programme director of health and wellbeing, welcomed the ban and said a person's lifetime smoking or non-smoking behaviour was "heavily influenced" by decisions in their adolescence.

"Children and young people tell us that external influences make it even more difficult for them to choose healthier lifestyles.

"It's essential that we create environments that improve health and tobacco legislation is an important part of public health protection and promotion," she said.
Protection

Charities have also welcomed the ban.

Betty McBride, director of policy and communications at the British Heart Foundation, said thousands of children at risk of this "deadly addiction" regularly got tobacco from vending machines, "which conveniently don't ask them to prove their age".

"These children are often blissfully unaware of the damage smoking does to their health and, by the time they realise, they're hooked.

"Scrapping these machines cuts off an easy source of tobacco for existing young smokers and makes it harder for a new generation to start.

"We're encouraging landlords to remove machines completely now so they - and any left-over branding - don't act as dusty old adverts for tobacco," she said.

Eileen Streets, director of tobacco control at the Roy Castle Lung Cancer Foundation, said she hoped the ban would play a "significant part in stopping many children becoming the next generation of lung cancer victims".
Other measures

Jean King, of Cancer Research UK, added: "Tobacco kills half of all long-term users and is responsible for one in four cancer deaths.

"Cancer Research UK is determined to protect children from tobacco marketing and through our Out of Sight Out of Mind campaign we are continuing to work for legislation to introduce plain packaging for cigarettes."

Other measures to protect young people from the dangers of smoking are also on the way.

In April 2012, large retailers in England and Scotland will have to get rid of all tobacco displays. Small shops will be expected to comply from April 2015.

Wales and Northern Ireland plan to implement similar regulations.

The government is also due to begin a public consultation before the end of the year on whether to introduce plain packaging for cigarettes in order to lessen their marketing appeal to young people, help make health warnings more effective and help reduce the number of smokers.

BBC News - Cigarette vending machines banned in England

they took the machine out my local the other night.

cowboy decorator shave decorated round it for last few years LOL

big patch on wall now that needs patching up, or just move the fruit machine there LOL unless they decorated round them too.

Stupid decision, although they are a rip off those machines are a god send to a lot of my mates who chain smoke when drinking. Just keep the machines in the pubs where children aren't allowed or switch the machines on after 9 when your not allowed minors in, there must be a more sensible way?

well it just means you need to plan ahead. they are a rip off anyway, £8.00 for 16 cigs . they will probably sell them from behind the bar now like they do cigars, just hope they sell 20s with out too much of a mark up

What about those condom machines, 3 quid for a shag and that's on top of all the cocktails you've had to buy her already!

What about those condom machines, 3 quid for a shag and that's on top of all the cocktails you've had to buy her already!

thats how they get ya, you want a fag after all that aswelll the gits

fookin idiotic decision..

what happens to the companies that make them,services them and stocks them...

job losses all around....

fookin idiotic decision..

what happens to the companies that make them,services them and stocks them...

job losses all around....

yes your right about the job losses... must be a lot of them :(

Look on the bright side ! should be a few shifts for the painter and decorators,on a more serious note,yes they never seem to think about the knock-on effects of these stupid decisions...as if there are not enough jobs being lost atm

Just do like I did... Get married. You'll never need contraception again.

Well it's also a little bit of a contradiction....your can't smoke in pubs/clubs...yet you can buy cigarettes....always seemed odd to me.

Ah well I don't smoke at all. I also don't drink and I'm still a virgin....:littleang

That's what I like about this forum, the members are sooo honest. :)

:err:

I think the knock-on effects of smoking :rip:, are exactly why these are being removed.

People choose to smoke no one is forced to start. Everyone knows how addictive it is and many are quite happy to run the risks :)

Ah but the people that have to breath it in don't have a choice......

this why im glad smoking has been banned in public places and pubs in particular..... but there is places smokers can go for a smoke,ie outside, i think this is why vending m/c are or were still in pubs....

...and many are quite happy to run the risks :)

...and that risk taking costs the NHS/taxpayer about £5billion pounds per year.(2009 figures)

Many others are quite happy with any measures to help reduce that figure.

...and that risk taking costs the NHS/taxpayer about £5billion pounds per year.(2009 figures)

Many others are quite happy with any measures to help reduce that figure.

I suppose the nhs figures are a good base for argument Nara, could say the sane thing with alcohol though.

Controversial but maybe anyone with a smoking related illness that have no real proof of attempting to stop should be forced to go private?

Either way I'm glad I gave up when I did, it was having to go to a dingy depressing corner outside at work that tipped the scales for me.

well the way i see it,
smokes bought from a shop are just as harmfull as smokes bought from a machine.
i don't understand why it is ok to buy from one source and not another.
these machines are mostly in pubs from my experience and are soo fookin expensive it would put underage smokers off.

just seems like an easy target to me.
government looks like it taking steps to reduce smoking without doing anything in real terms to reduce availabilty.

why don't they go the extra mile and either ban selling fags all together or maybe severely restricting sales . ie selling in chemists or summit similer.
i dont smoke and think its a disgusting habbit but dont really see the point of this new ban.

how many peeps will stop smoking because of this?
fookin none i would bet.. lol

Back