Browser Chrome: Scroll arrows gone!!

trevortron

VIP Member
VIP Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
My partner, who is a self-confessed Facebook addict noticed today that the up & down scroll arrows have disappeared from the Chrome browser window, and the scroll bar itself has become considerably (impossibly, even?) narrow, whereupon my services as "in-house computer expert" were called upon.
Firstly, I am no computer expert, so I did a quick 'Google', and it seems to be a widespread problem. But not universal, because my PC which is also running Chrome on W7 is still as-was!
Apparently Google came back with a lame response claiming the new way is more in keeping with other GUI's and is 'the way forward'.
I must admit, I too would find it annoying, as the alternatives (dragging skinny scroll bar or using cursor keys) aren't nearly as user-friendly for 'inching' down a long page.
Anyone else finding this?

I've got this issue. It's 'fixed' by unchecking the 'take visual styles on windows and buttons' in computer,properties,advanced system settings

A bit crap really though

I've got this issue. It's 'fixed' by unchecking the 'take visual styles on windows and buttons' in computer,properties,advanced system settings

A bit crap really though

Strange- tried it on my PC (even though it's still OK pending a Chrome update) and it looked horrible- sort of Win 98 limp-home mode look! Then tried it on the affected PC and it made no difference.
I looked into it a bit more and this was Google's pathetic attempt at justifying it:

• Windows scrollbars: Chrome Windows users will notice that the scrollbars have changed to look similar to the style of Chrome in Metro mode. The cleaner look helps make Chrome’s style more consistent across different environments.

Well thank you very much NOT- I don't want MY machine to
    look similar to the style of Chrome in Metro mode.

Reminds me of banks. They like to think they know what's best for us (meaning them really!), and have a tendency to forget whose money (or PC in this case) it is.

A consistent user experience is a perfectly valid reason for those that notice something different, then spend an age trying to work out what it is ;)

Your actual complaint seems to be that you, as the user, can't choose between the traditional, phat scrollbar and modern, svelte scrollbar. As such, see if this custom.css hack still works:
Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

(As a side note: I hardly ever use the scroll bar. On the desktop, I use the scroll wheel on the mouse. On the laptop, I use the scroll "gesture" on the mouse pad.)

A consistent user experience is a perfectly valid reason for those that notice something different, then spend an age trying to work out what it is ;)

Your actual complaint seems to be that you, as the user, can't choose between the traditional, phat scrollbar and modern, svelte scrollbar. As such, see if this custom.css hack still works:
Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

(As a side note: I hardly ever use the scroll bar. On the desktop, I use the scroll wheel on the mouse. On the laptop, I use the scroll "gesture" on the mouse pad.)

Thanks for this- I have to admit I'm a bit nervous fiddling with settings in the "dragons' den" of Chrome. I too tend to use the scroll function of the mousepad, but the other half's HP Elite uses the two-finger gesture (no, not THAT one!!) and it's a bit temperamental, hence the preference of the top & bottom arrows. Does this method restore those too, or does it just fatten up what's left of the scrollbar?

Thanks for this- I have to admit I'm a bit nervous fiddling with settings in the "dragons' den" of Chrome. I too tend to use the scroll function of the mousepad, but the other half's HP Elite uses the two-finger gesture (no, not THAT one!!) and it's a bit temperamental, hence the preference of the top & bottom arrows. Does this method restore those too, or does it just fatten up what's left of the scrollbar?

First, no need to be nervous about this 'fix', the Custom.css file has nothing in it by default so you can take a copy and restore if it all goes a bit 'Pete Tong'. No, the arrows are not restored using this method but as it's a css file you could do this - I just haven't looked at that!

I'm the same as @little_pob
I use the wheel on the mouse to scroll or the arrow keys on keyboard :)

I like it, more modern looking :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm the same as @little_pob
I use the wheel on the mouse to scroll or the arrow keys on keyboard :)

I like it, more modern looking :)

I do too but I also like the discovery that the whole appearance of Chrome can be changed using the Custom.css file. If I get time I may just work out some quirky variations lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Got it back the easy way!! Found an extension called- originally enough- Win7 scrollbars.

I do too but I also like the discovery that the whole appearance of Chrome can be changed using the Custom.css file. If I get time I may just work out some quirky variations lol

Completely OT, but as you like 'fiddling', have you ever used/heard of Privoxy? It's ad-blocking s/w, but looking at their site, it looks highly 'configurable', in fact it looks to be positively encouraged!

Completely OT, but as you like 'fiddling', have you ever used/heard of Privoxy? It's ad-blocking s/w, but looking at their site, it looks highly 'configurable', in fact it looks to be positively encouraged!

Yes, but many things are very configurable? Depends what you want to do. I use FB Purity to block crap in Facebook and NoScript to prompt for permission to run scripts in the browser - kills most crap :)

I don't suppose anyone's noticed, but with Chrome's latest update (34.0.1847.131 ) they're back! Well done Google- perhaps they do listen :)

No I changed to chromium after the last update

Back