Cheap graphics card able to do 1440 x 900

conorc

Inactive User
Reaction score
I recently bought a lcd display that's ONLY capcble of being driven at 1440 x 900

Does anyone know of a CHEAP card that can output at that resolution?

I don't do anything graphically intensive (ie games). Would like to be able to view TV off my dreambom, though.

hi mate , wat are u looking for , a 128 , 256 , is it pci-e or AGP as there is a few options out there

Update/details:
Powerstrip didn't work, unfortunately. Nice software though.

The monitor is a Mirai DML-419W210.
when driven at other resolutions, ascenders in fonts are rendered differently dependent on where (on the physical screen) they are drawn. (if you drag a window with text accross the screen, the vertical lines in the font get wider -by one pixel- at particular positions on the screen). I have tried all available resolutions and it happens in all of them.

My card doesn't/can't support the monitor

Card: NVIDIA GeForce 6800 256MB - PCIe (I'm almost certain, but I haven't opened up the PC yet)

As I don't play games, I don't need advanced graphics or large memory on board. The display itself should map in 1440*900*(30/8) Bytes which is less than 5MB. Therefore, 64Mb or 128 MB should be plenty of memory for the card.

Any suggestions of which card to get. (cheap being the real criterion) I'll even swap the existing card!

Cheers!

Last edited:
so u dont have an agp slot in there?
I'm sure most of my older nvidia and ati card do the odd resolutions with a bit of tweaking and as suggested powerstrip

Thanks for the attempts, but no joy. It says that the test for 1440*900@60Hz fails.
New card me thinks.....bollo*

Thanks for the attempts, but no joy. It says that the test for 1440*900@60Hz fails.
New card me thinks.....bollo*

Hi conorc,

Dont know if you can get your hands on a Nvidia 6600 GT but I just set my res to 1440*900 and it ran, looked a bit squished and weird on mine but I have a 4/3 tft running at 60Hz.

Hope this is of some help.

[EDIT] If the monitor wont fire up on your card then try setting it on another monitor, sure you know the drill from desktop, right click...etc, save the setting on the other monitor, the connect back to your monitor, see what happens.

Regards

Muskrat

Last edited:
Are you saying that you don't think your 6800 will push out a 1400x900 res? Or is there something wrong with it?

That card will display at that resolution no problems at all mate. Heck I was running my 19" widescreen on an old Radeon 128mb 9250 which your 6800 eats for breakfast!!

It must certainly be something to do with a driver issue if the card will fire up on another monitor, or even the monitor may be dodgy?

To clarify, when I create the new resolution, the nvidia software insists that I test it before it saves the new settings. When it tests the settings, one of two things happen: either it says that the test fails, or more usually, it behaves as if the settings have been set, offers the 15 seconds to revert, but the actual card is not outputing the new settings and when you accept the changes, nothing different happens, and the settings are not made available in the list.

I hope that this makes some sense. I'll try muskrat's suggestion to disconnect the monitor and try to save it blind. (methinks another plug'n'pray type bullshit situation)

THat must be this evening as I'm at work now.

Thanks to all!

Back