Channels freezing.

beechtree

DW Member ++
Reaction score
Had this problem for a while now, the problem is restricted to the freeview channels, BBC News in particular but all are affected to some degree, premium channels are all ok.
When I switch to BBC News the channel works ok but after a short time the picture freezes and I get the 'tune failed' message. If I'm quick enough to switch channels I can change channels to a premium channel, switch back to BBC News and the channel works fine, if I'm not quick enough to switch channels I have to reboot the box.
On the other freeview channels the problem is not as bad but sooner or later the channel starts to glitch then freezes. Again, if I switch to a premium channel then back to the freeview channel all is fine again.
I'm using DW image, it's my own sub so it's not a share issue. I've tried reflashing and rescanning a number of times with no joy. It's becoming a real pain in the arse, any ideas? Thanks.

possibly a failing tuner or over heating a bit

assuming lnb is ok although could look at replacing

have you a recent channel list

my money on tuner

Don't think it's overheating but I'll put my fan on permanent and see if that makes a difference. LNB is ok, I run a 500 off the same one with no problems.
When you say a channel list, do you mean the one with all the frequencies listed?

Standard sly dish mate, about 2 years old, seems fine.

Strange it is just the FTA stuff.

Are any of these HD channels ? And take a look at the signal strength on the effected channel is it jumping up and down erratically ?

The main culprit BBC news is SD but I get the problem to a lesser extent on bbc3, itv1 bbc2 which are all hd.

Just looked at signal strength, AGC steady at 96%, BER is 0, SNR was steady at 15.0 dB but then the picture froze and SNR dropped to zero.

My dm800se is the server for 3 dm500s, one of them is in my other room, they all run fine. I've switched the feeds between my 800se and the 500 with no change.

Those are all vertical channels I believe.

I've seen channels listed as horizontal and vertical but I've no idea what it means, the problem is restricted to certain channels though.

Is it any better on BBC News HD? That's now available in HD as well as BBC 3&4. BBC News HD is on the same transponder as BBC4HD (CBeebiesHD in daytime), but not BBC3HD. Its 11024 H.

Is it any better on BBC News HD? That's now available in HD as well as BBC 3&4. BBC News HD is on the same transponder as BBC4HD (CBeebiesHD in daytime), but not BBC3HD. Its 11024 H.

I'll check it over the weekend, didn't know about BBC news hd.

I updated my channel list and found BBC News HD, it works fine, no glitches. What was strange though was when I checked cbeebies HD, I got the tune failed notice but the channel works fine and the notice disappears after a few seconds.

The tune failed notice often appears on my box whilst it's still sorting things out, or mostly in my case, the dish is moving. I think it's just a time indication.

Back