changing cloned mac to cloned mac, forced config and dhcp sniffer questions

Midnight Tboy

Inactive User
Reaction score
hey once more.

ok so I now have my ambit 200 flashed to sigma 13.5 as per the New Ambit 200 guide, and ready to spoof the macs on my network cards/router etc when its ready to plug in and test.

now the only thing I have left to do is find a valid mac to use and write it . I also need to somehow delay my partner from giving birth today (2 weeks over and to be induced tmw(!) eek!!) so that I can have time to set the mac and test it out :p oh well at least I'll have the house to myself after lol!!

When I flashed the modem, using the New Ambit 2008 guide....because I didnt have any valid macs for my area (I only used DHCP Force - and didnt know that DHCP Sniffer would produce VALID ones for use)...I used one of the random macs that DHCPForce found...just to complete the process in the instructions and make sure it actually changed the mac aswell as setting a random config file. When connecting to the 1337 page of the router however I did not set the options "Disable Firmware Update" etc as advised in the guide - purely as I wanted to wait until chucked on it a valid mac for my area.

Now when it comes to me "changing" from one cloned mac to another...do I still have to connect the max232 and then follow the Ambitconfig tool steps again. Or can I just connect to the 1337 page and enter the new mac and config files...and then save? Here's hoping for the latter

My next question regarding DHCP Sniffer.

When I started DHCP Sniffer running, I used my own mac address, as I did not at that point know any others. Is that right to use, or do you need a MAC from a different area to start it sniffing properly? I did read however that if you cannot find a valid config/modem then should pick any random mac from the results given so far and press Discover once more (with Brute Force ticked of course). Is this ok?

Is it generally recommended NOT to force a config file as they are likely to be closed off quicker? As all the configs I have found so far in Sniffer, have been cmreg-ntlhome100-light and cmreg-ntlhome120-light. so a) they're for ambit 100/120s and b) they're all low speed ones. Its been running a good few hours and other than them I've only found 1 single Mid level one, which is still for a 120

cheers for the help one more,
Tuck

Yep no need to connect the max cable when changing the mac addy, when you have changed the mac dont forget to turn the modem off and on again to take the new settings.
Will be ok to sniff to use your mac addy, but use it sparingly because it is visible, would trade for other macs through the trade section, nice and easy no probs.

The Starman

thanks Starman.

presumably there is no problem in choosing the config file within it also. I'm just a bit wary about setting a forced config as ideally would rather not have to do that if it means the clone will prob not last as long.

I tried posting a couple of days ago requesting for mac trading in the trading thread but alas have not had any response yet, so might have to resort to being patient as poss and finding a valid one with a bund03 config for a 200.

Once I disable the firmware update options, etc in the 1337 page, I presume it would stil allow me to actually connect to that 1337 page and not lock me out if it also.

cheers,
Tuck

Some areas do not have problems with forcing the config, others do,If you can trade a genuine high mac I think it is always better, keep posting in the mac trade section someone will answer, or have you got a mate or family member who lives nearby but not on your UBR wont mind you sniffing on their UBR ?
just protect the mod from any updates following the protection posts.
You will still be able to connect to the Mod page via ethernet.
I use a ambit 250 great little modem, but i know the 200 is as good and you can unbrick them easy apparently.

The Starman

Last edited:
thanks once more Starman.

Now I just checked and my ubr is cpc5-stkn4-0-0-*.midd - living in the Billingham, Stockton area.

Now my mate who lives a few miles away, doesnt live in Billingham, but does live in Stockton itself. His ubr is cpc2-stkn5-0-0-*.midd

are these in the same close enough area to work for trading? I presume that so long as it says stkn on the 2nd group of letters with a number then I should be ok. And If ok, then I should use DHCP Force for trading and not Sniffer. And another example, I have another mate who lives in cpc1-newe2 area way down in Wales.. Am I right in thinking it HAS to be local and that my welsh friend and I cannot trade?

I'll have to have another look through the trading thread to see if anyone in same area as myself and pm them directly, as thinking about it, I posted just asking for my area etc, and should have searched within the thread for others.

Have to shoot off to hospital right now tho to have a baby induced!! talk about a busy day :p

cheers and back laters not too late I hope :-D,
Tuck

just to add, just checked another mate who lives closer, about 1 mile away, and in same time, his UBR is cpc4-hart4-0-0-*.midd

Odd as I'd have expected to see hart in the name if it was in the town of Hartlepool? Again would this be a valid one for me swapping with?

Last edited:
thats perfect if you can, scan on your mates UBR stkn4 and you will find some macs for yourself and also you can scan and repay your mate and give him some working macs from your UBR.
Yeah your right your other mate can only trade with others in a different UBR to Newe2 so he would want newe 1-3-4-5- ect.
Good luck with the new baby, my mate has had twins,its been touch and go they were 29 weeks when born so it is still early days.

The Starman

many thanks Starman,

just got back and absolutely cream krackered....had beautiful baby girl though, but there was a scary period after birth with complications for the mother so am glad its all over and done with now touch wood......joyous things but can frighten the life outta ya!! Hope for all the best for your mates twins, they must be teeny.

Quickie before I go to bed for some much needed kip. The guy who lives in the Stkn5 area is a bit of a pain to get him to run progs for me, but will have to try and work on him. Am sure I'll eventually get him to run it but will take fair bit of persuading as he's a fussy so-so.

I take it there is no chance the other mate who is at cpc4-hart4-0-0-*.midd would be compatable for me? Is it that the Hart/Stkn part of the UBR has to match, or that the .Midd (which presumably stands for Middlesbrough as its in the same general area for us all), should be the same?

Hopefully my mate on Hart4 is ok to use as he's easy to persuade, and already running the prog overnight for me (and after me doing his too if successful on my first attempt :))

many thanks now must go snore.

Tuck

Congratulations on the new arrival,you must be shattered,but I bet your Mrs`s is even more knackered, LoL !

I have tried ubr`s that are close to me(i am in Brum) but I can only use macs from perr01-2-4-5-6-7-8, (there are normally 8 ubr`s to an area)so it must be important that the ubr`s name is the same as yours ,of course you need the right tfp ip for your area which i take you already have, dchp sniff wil get you this.

I have heard of other hackers using macs from other close areas,and getting them to work,I do know that you would have to find the tftp ip for that area which of course sounds right.

Its all good fun this mod hacking aint it !, dont worry we will get you on line, but you will have to get that fussy mate to pull his finger out !
once again congrats on the new baby

take care

The Starman

many thanks Starman,

just got back and absolutely cream krackered....had beautiful baby girl though, but there was a scary period after birth with complications for the mother so am glad its all over and done with now touch wood......joyous things but can frighten the life outta ya!! Hope for all the best for your mates twins, they must be teeny.

Quickie before I go to bed for some much needed kip. The guy who lives in the Stkn5 area is a bit of a pain to get him to run progs for me, but will have to try and work on him. Am sure I'll eventually get him to run it but will take fair bit of persuading as he's a fussy so-so.

I take it there is no chance the other mate who is at cpc4-hart4-0-0-*.midd would be compatable for me? Is it that the Hart/Stkn part of the UBR has to match, or that the .Midd (which presumably stands for Middlesbrough as its in the same general area for us all), should be the same?

Hopefully my mate on Hart4 is ok to use as he's easy to persuade, and already running the prog overnight for me (and after me doing his too if successful on my first attempt :))

many thanks now must go snore.

Tuck
congrat to u and ur missus m8, u will have ur work cut out for u now m8, as girls can be a right pain a*se... well @ lease mine is lol

midd. is the headend (cmts) so any many macs from any area in midd. will work in urs area as long as the tftp ip r the same or very similar ie: if hart and Stkn or anywhere else near u has the same tftp ip which should be 62.254.64.20 and 62.254.64.21 or 62.254.64.22 and 62.254.64.23 then any macs from those area should work no problem...

Sorry for the delay and thanks all for your congrats, we appreciate it. And you're not kidding mate, she seems to be much harder work than I remember for our 3yr old son :) All worth it though despite the stressfull few nights lack of sleep while it settles down.

Right...so I can now start to look for a bit back at this modem (while waiting for my dreambox to arrive tmw )

Sooooo....could you just double check these q's for me, as I'm still not entirely sure about the tftip/mac sniffing/dhcpforce, compatable ubrs stage..especially after playing catchup and tired from baby once more :) Its a bit more of a pain to check at current mo too with me having set up in last few days the wireless config around the house, so disconnected the feed in room with pc to put it downstairs for the router to be near xboxs etc for short hardwiring. Means I have to grab laptop, sit near modem on floor and plug it direct when can mess.

Here we go...

1. IF I use DHCP Sniffer (giving it my original mac to start with)...then ALL of the found macs should in theory work for my Modem (not counting those that other people may have nabbed already).

2. IF I use DHCPForce instead....then NONe of the macs I find directly would work from my modem, and I have to trade them with someone in an area that works.

3. My mate who is on cpc4-hart4-0-0-*.midd (living in Billingham, has the tftpip 62.254.64.39). So if mine is the SAME (unable to check this v min as partner has hijacked laptop), then we'll be able to trade no problem. In fact so will any/all macs that are in the area 62.254.64.XX?? I would have thought that if we were both on .39 then they would conflict, as those are the same gateway?

4. Are people finding that if they force the config file, from say an 120config file that was found, to a 200-03bundle config, that the account is lasting much less long/box being bricked quicker? Or just a matter of preference and hasnt had any repercussions yet?

5. After i've set the mac to a valid one, and tested it quickly......I obv need to apply the rest of the security steps as described in the New Ambit 200 guide, such as the firmware update disabling and other threads in the forum about additional steps to take. Is there any options that I should NOT set straight away until I'm certain I want to keep that mac...for example, that would mean I would HAVE to then go back to the max232 if wanted to make a change again.

many thanks, getting there slowly but surely...hope to have it sorted by end of day if I'm lucky, so I can cross yet another incomplete task off my never ending to do list :)

cheers,
Tuck

Last edited:
.could you just double check these q's for me, as I'm still not entirely sure about the tftip/mac sniffing/dhcpforce, compatable ubrs stage..
Here we go....

IF I use DHCP Sniffer (giving it my original mac to start with)...then ALL of the found macs should in theory work for my Modem (not counting those that other people may have nabbed already).
yes if ur in ntl area

IF I use DHCPForce instead....then NONe of the macs I find directly would work from my modem, and I have to trade them with someone in an area that works.
thats correct !!! the macs needs to come from a different ubr from the the 1 ur in for it to work...

My mate who is on cpc4-hart4-0-0-*.midd (living in Billingham, has the tftpip 62.254.64.39). So if mine is the SAME then we'll be able to trade no problem. In fact so will any/all macs that are in the area 62.254.64.XX?? I would have thought that if we were both on .39 ?
thats also correct, or if yours was 38 or even 40 it should work as ther still same franchise but if its like 62.254.64.20 or so then 99% chance it wont work as ther not the same franchise!!! as each franchises has its own tftp server ip along with its own accounts and registrations... but u can try it out and see as some do work...
Are people finding that if they force the config file, from say an 120config file that was found, to a 200-03bundle config, that the account is lasting much less long/box being bricked quicker? Or just a matter of preference and hasnt had any repercussions yet?
usually force config file last as long as the mac would and that could be quite a few yrs if the account holder continues to subscribe...

After i've set the mac to a valid one, and tested it quickly......I obv need to apply the rest of the security steps as described in the New Ambit 200 guide, such as the firmware update disabling and other threads in the forum about additional steps to take.
disabling update and disabling telnet r the only 2 thats really need atm... the rest hasnt really been implemented yet

Last edited:
thanks - having a mess about with it at moment but seem to be encountering some problems. I'll make a more relevant new thread about the new problems, as I'm also tryin to clone my own modem with the hacked box, as way of tryin to get it to work

Back