carrying ladders on roof racks on a van

terminator2k2

Inactive User
Reaction score
hi there, just wandering wat are the legal requirements when carrying ladders on vehicles.?

i have a citreon berlingo i think it is........and we will be putting some kind of roof rack on it to carry a cat ladder and a 3 piece 10 meter ladder......

the 3 piece ladder wen fully closed i think measures 4 meters in length......

the cat ladder is just over 3 meters.....

does any one know if this will be ok.?

as i dont have the ladders as yet and in the process of ordering them.....

just dont know where we stand when it comes to carrying ladders on vans...

cheers chris

Hope this helps.

Q. By how much can my ladders overhang the ends of my van?
A. Depends on whether it is the front or the rear.
AT REAR > if overhang is less than 1.07m / 3' 6" = no safety measures needed.
AT REAR > if overhang is between 1.07m / 3' 6" & 1.83m / 6' 0" = you must make more visible ( by hanging material of bright colour or similar).
AT REAR > if overhang is more than 1.83m / 6' 0" = you must fit special marker boards ( red & white triangular boards ).
AT FRONT > if overhang is more than 1.83m / 6' 0" = you must fit special marker boards ( as above ) & carry a mate in the cab.
AT FRONT & REAR > if overhang is more than 3.05m / 10' 0" = you must fit special marker boards & carry a mate in the cab & inform the police !!!

Last edited:
Just chuck them on, They don't seem too big to me. Make sure you use a professional rack though.

thanks for the reply much appreciated...ive just been on citroens web site and got these measurements.....

Length / Wheelbase 4137 / 2693 mm
Width / Height 1724 / 1796 mm

so i think i should be ok wiv a 4 meter ladder on a rack.......

they measure from the very rear of the van, so stick a 2" block to the middle of the bumper at the back and pain it black ;)

Ignore all the shite m8 use your common sense If it doesn't look to bad no policeman will give a shit make sure there steady and safely attached job done.

At the most you would only get a warning if you were ever pulled about it which I seriously doubt you would be.

Ive chucked king size beds and sofas on top of my rack and passed police cars and they glanced but never been pulled over.

Ignore all the shite m8 use your common sense If it doesn't look to bad no policeman will give a shit make sure there steady and safely attached job done.

At the most you would only get a warning if you were ever pulled about it which I seriously doubt you would be.

Ive chucked king size beds and sofas on top of my rack and passed police cars and they glanced but never been pulled over.

You're absolutely right.
I've got a pickup truck with a canopy. I put my stuff on the canopy and strap them to the hooks on the body of the truck. Looks a bit odd but I've never been stopped.

Back