Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Caravan receiver help

nimbers

Inactive User
HI all i'm just wondering is there a tm receiver that can run off a dongle?

My parents have a caravan in wales and pay for sky go to run threw there laptop using dongle, unfortunately there isn't a wifi hotspot where there caravan is so the dongle basically gives them 5hours of viewing instead of using the hotspot so i suggested getting similar set up for them which i have. as i assume that dongle uploading keys is far smaller than the file of that they are receiving via sky go probably etc any help will do

thanks in advance

You can use wifi bridge with any receiver that needs a network connection.

The key issue is that the connection must be fast enough. The amount of data is very small. There are also 3G routers which take a sim.

i know a few people who do this with no problems, itll depend mainly on the type of 3G connection at the site, but if its been good enough to stream skygo, then it should be fine for keys etc

thanks abu and digidude.

What reciever would you recommend that is the easiest to set for them? and what is a decent 3g router and at a good price etc

As you will end up being technical support, it may be an idea getting the same receiver as you have depending on costs. The openbox is very good at what it does and very cost effective.

One 3G router is on the following. TP-Link TL-MR3220 Wireless-N150 3G Router | Ebuyer.com I don't have one so I cannot recommend. You will also need one that is compatible with the dongle/network that your parents have.

thanks for link mate when next go and see them this week hopefully i'll see what sim they got think they on o2 at min know they tried voda dongle that didn't work for them. whats the openbox is it a reciever that just uses static satelite but will accept there card for sky or something etc

thanks again

to be honest mate i tried dongles with my VU box at my van in north wales.. they seem too slow , all of them . they glitch everytime they go for the codes .
But the ZOOM 3G modem from maplin was by far the best and easiest to use , was proper plug and play.
our site has wifi but they block everything , but i eventually found a way round it by making my own little hotspot off the site wifi.so its happy days for me , i get great viewing off the free wifi.
my mate ( a few vans down) uses skygo on his i phone , then bought a "airport" device from apple that puts the iphone pic onto HD TV using hdmi..its flawless and he has all you can eat data on his iphone and bloody good pic too . so thats another angle to look at.

I tried Vodafone . t mobile . three . o2 ... all glitched for me and the signals was excellent on them ( full speed) , i heard there is also a conflict with usb dongles and cccam, so they are not a good option mate

ive used a 3G router, that takes a 3G dongle with sim card, in the middle of wales, with a pretty poor mobile signal in general before now, with adequate results, you do get the odd 8 second pause every now and then, but overall, its watchable

im pretty sure the router is from a company called solwise, and ive used it powered from the usb port of the receiver itself, with the receiver powered from a small petrol generator lol

this has been on the vodafone network btw, where a smartphone only reports the data connection as being G, not 3G, not H not 3.5G and not Edge, but only G

I read this thread and decided to do a 30 minute test with my T-Mobile Dongle HP laptop and Spiderbox 9000HD Combo

Topped up £ 15.00 for unlimited usage
connected my dongle to my laptop which is running XP and established a internet connection.
opened network connections under Dial up i could see T-Mobile UK selected Properties, then Advanced, under internet connection sharing i ticked the check box & in home network connection i selected Local area network connection followed by ok to save.
I restarted both my T-Mobile dongle connection & my Spiderbox 9000HD Combo
Success
My results as follows my ecm times for sky Uk HD [Sky Movies PremiereHD, Sky Sports newsHD] are between 220ms & 350ms no freeze pretty much the same as what i get on my home broadband.

i really just dont get how people have had this working with dongles ,
No matter what i tried ( even different 3g routers) i got bad glitches every 3 or 4 seconds. seems it is a bit hit and miss

Back