DVB - PC Cards Cant Detect TV Tuner

arazi

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi All

Well i bought a TT-C1501 and installed it. I have a pretty high spec machine, core 2 duo, 2 gig ram, 8600GT etc. I am using Vista ultimate 64. When i open up VMC it says it cant detect a my TV tuner, i have also tried with media portal and this is the same, no TV tuner installed.

Now i know there is as i have installed the latest drivers that came with it, ver 5.0.0.15. I installed TT's own tv software and that see's my card but when i scan i get no fta channels, prob cos i havnt got it setup right, but my main concern is why Vista MC and Media Portal say i have no Tuner at all.

I have installed service pack 1 but i tried it without this and still had the same problem.

Grrr

Thanks for any help

VistaMC doesn't officially support DVB-C cards so that is why it says no tuner installed and as for mediaportal I am not sure but maybe the tuner definitions file does not have your tuner in?

Thanks for the reply

So no matter what i wont be able to at least get the FTA in vista? How do i locate the file for media portal also

Thanks

try dvbveiwer works well for me with my tt 1500 i'm not using vista though.

thebigman

try dvbveiwer works well for me with my tt 1500 i'm not using vista though.

thebigman

i use a floppydtv with vista no probs and i thought the tt1500/1501 was an alternative using the bda drivers - isn't this correct?

Well i cant get it to work with either vista or media portal, i must be doing something wrong, i cant even get any FTA with the TT software, ive changed the symbol rate to my area which is 6952 and get nothing.

Didnt think it would be this hard

DVBviewer wont even open in vista either

Well i cant get it to work with either vista or media portal, i must be doing something wrong, i cant even get any FTA with the TT software, ive changed the symbol rate to my area which is 6952 and get nothing.

Are you sure the drivers for the card are installed properly? look in device manager and see, let us know.

If I were you I'd uninstall the TT software and try dvbdream or progdvb, you'll need different transponder files for either programme.

Where can i get the files? ive got progDVB installed now

the 1501 is supported by mediaportal tv server - not by the client only app - however they have just released a combined rc1 of both and the 1501 works fine in it - make sure you install everything on the requirements page tho

as it doesnt have mce drivers - only bda - I would suspect that technotrent never intended it to work in mce

Nick, i have tried that driver and it still does not detect it, maybe its because im using 64 bit but it is crackng me up. Think i will set up XP and try that for now, does anyone now will it work in xp media centre, i want this to work in one of MS's media centres because i have an xbox and want to be able to use that in conjuction with it so i can watch tv, and watch and listen to all the stuff i have on my pc through the xbox.

Basically the pc is upstairs and my 360 is downstairs and will be under my tv, so the pc will act as my source for everything that goes through the xbox 360. If this doesnt work then im fooked cos i dont know of any other software that will act as a media extender with the xbox which includes controling/changing channels.

Ive had a play around with progDVB to, when i change one of the transponder files (program files\progdvb\transponers\cabfiles) that it has to my area (6952) etc it then crashes the program and wont work again.

Thanks for the advice

Last edited:
DVB support in both the XP2005 and Vista MediaCenter's is a joke.

They do not officially support cable [DVB-C] or satellite [DVB-S]

and they do not officially support any form of encrypted pay tv,

(the BDA driver spec does not include CAM control etc)

To get round these limitations hardware vendors need to "trick" MCE

into treating cable and satellite devices like digital terrestrial [DVB-T] tuners.

FireDTV devices do this (& CAM control) internally with a "special" MCE driver,

technotrend devices must use external programs called "TT MCE Tools".

After installing the BDA driver & MCE Tools use the DVB-T mapper program to map the frequencies,

(get your local frequencies from the engineers menu of your set-top box if you don't have a list)

then reboot (important!) and MCE will detect your tuner as DVB-T and you can tune in the channels.

When you are tuned in you need to set up TTAutoDecode [XP & Vista32]

or "CAM control" [Vista64] to decrypt channels automatically using your CAM

(you can not use SoftCAMs in MediaCenter)

You will also need to re-map most of the channels in the guide to get listings for them,

It is a lot of work - but it is possible, good luck with it!

PS - there are also two third-party programs that try and patch DVB support into MediaCenter,

they are DVBSBridge and Sceneo VistaTV, but they are also pretty hard to set up,

they don't work with Vista 64bit, and probably don't work with media extenders like the Xbox360.

~

Last edited:
Thanks for explaining all of that nick, appreciate it, i'll crack on and give it a go. I would just be happy to get any FTA's for the time being, ive installed XP Pro for the time being and im going to try some other progs just to get the hand of things.

Again, thanks

No problem, in that case I would start with MyTheatre, it is probably the easiest to use and most stable.

Also, do not install the MCE Tools until you want to use MediaCenter, otherwise you will have to tell

your DVB app to scan the same "fake" DVB-T frequencies that MediaCenter is using.

But at least this method allows you to use MediaCenter and other DVB apps with the same driver.

The FireDTV "MCE Driver" approach is easier to set up but it breaks support for other DVB apps.

If you want to use a hardware CAM to view encrypted channels then go with Vista 32bit or XPMCE 2005,

TTAutoDecoder does not work properly with Vista 64bit yet and "CAM Control" is a bugger to configure.

Some FTA channels on Virgin are flagged as encrypted and MediCenter will hide them by default so just go

into the channel editor and un-hide them, there are several utilities you can use to organise the channel list.

Cheers,
Nick

Last edited:
Thanks nick.

Getting somewhere at last, ive change the transponder file to my area and im gett 200+ channels, but when i try to view one it gives an error in dvb viewer which is: Cannot load source filter, error 0x80004003 Invalid Pointer

Any help on this

Thanks

I haven't used DVBViewer in a long time,

try and Install another mpeg2 decoder [powerdvd or elecard demo]

and make sure it is selected under Audio & Video codecs in directx settings menu.

Last edited:
Right, got that error sorted now and can see all the FTA channels. Now where do i put yanksee/fenrir or vplug so i can get the scrambled channels to or does anyone advise using other software for the scrambled chanels.

Glad ive got somewhere with it :)

DVBViewer needs this wrapper plugin to use SoftCAMs:

http://www.geocities.com/thereal_pikachu/

Use Yankse.dll for decryption with a current SoftCAM.key file.

Fenrir doesn't work anymore so use Snitch.dll for key auto update.

Details in other threads, glad you are up and running.

Cheers,
Nick

Back