can't access windows xp professional

djdbg

Inactive User
Reaction score
I have been asked by a friend at work to fix her sons laptop.
It is a Dell Latitude D600 running Windows XP professional.

Switch it on and it has "welcome to windows", press Ctrl-Alt-Delete to begin

Then

Log on to Windows
user name and password​
the user name is automatically entered as User, no password necessary, just hit enter or OK.​

Very quickly it shows loading your perosnal settings and then immediately

new box says, "please wait", logging off...

it takes some time to log off and then sticks with just the picture from the desktop showing no icons or start menu etc.

i tried in safe mode but same scenario.

I have spoke with the woman, she doesn't have any boot disks or start up cd-roms. My computer runs on home edition not professional. the good news is she isn't concerned about saving any information, will only be some games that can be re-installed and some pictures the kid has drawn.

Anybody got any solutions?

cheers

djdbg said:
Very quickly it shows loading your perosnal settings and then immediately

new box says, "please wait", logging off...

it takes some time to log off and then sticks with just the picture from the desktop showing no icons or start menu etc.

cheers

Out of frustration i have tried a few times and now very quickly goes to desktop and straight back to the logon screen, with the obligatory high organ tunes associated with windows.

i had that same prob it was when i put my copy of windows xp pro ( oem ) on dads pc and i had 30 days to activate it and after the 30 days ran out it wouldent let me log in just kept going in a cycle if its a legit copy phone microsoft and get a disk and format

download xp pro and do a repair install m8

have u tried a repair install , its worth ago m8 , nothin to lose .u want lose any data m8...

Configure your computer to start from the CD-ROM drive. For more information about how to do this, please refer to your computer's documentation or contact your computer manufacturer.

Insert your Windows XP compact disc (CD) into your CD-ROM drive or DVD-ROM drive, and then restart your computer.

(You can also boot with a Windows 98/Me Startup disk with CD support and run WINNT.EXE in the I386 folder on the CD)

When the "Press any key to boot from CD" message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.

When you see the following message displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

At this point an option to press R to enter the Recovery Console is displayed. Do not select this option.

On the Windows XP Licensing Agreement screen, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.

Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected in the box, and then press the R key to repair Windows XP.

Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.

some info here awell m8 http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/troub-05.html

sounds like some sorta virus activity has fooked it up man, personally i would just get on backup the files the lady wants kept and then format the bugger.
if shes not fussed just format and be done with it

I don't currently have windows xp professional, will have to download a copy and burn it.

was hoping there may be a quicker way, but there you have it.

thanks again.

It was only ever the boy that used it. So mum said she doesn'rt knwo about any passwords, or cd's or anything at all really. boy is only about 8 just likes shoot em ups and drawing with paint.

Is it possibel to format the computer leaving windows intact, or will i still need a copy of windows on cd?

aye do what smirnoff suggested to repair the system files and config but make sure you get a decent av on there and run a full scan

When you format it completly wipes the hard drive, so you will need to install a clean copy.

also, if you overwrite the existing copy, you will still need to reinstall all the apps!

found myself what looks to be a good image from demonoid, plenty of comments and feedback all positive.

i'll let you know how i get on.

cheers

Good News and Bad News

The download from demonoid was great, burned image no problem.
Got laptop to boot from cd-rom and options appeared.

I selcted R, for recovery consol.

Screen changes to command prompt, aske me to select option. I only have one to choose from
1) winnt - (something like that anyway)
selected 1 and it asks for administator password.

I have no feckin idea what it is.

I am now trying first option which is to set up windows xp

djdbg said:
Good News and Bad News

The download from demonoid was great, burned image no problem.
Got laptop to boot from cd-rom and options appeared.

I selcted R, for recovery consol.

Screen changes to command prompt, aske me to select option. I only have one to choose from
1) winnt - (something like that anyway)
selected 1 and it asks for administator password.

I have no feckin idea what it is.

I am now trying first option which is to set up windows xp
no no no lol if u read my post m8

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

At this point an option to press R to enter the Recovery Console is displayed. Do not select this option.

On the Windows XP Licensing Agreement screen, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.

Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected in the box, and then press the R key to repair Windows XP.

Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.
dont press r m8

i agree with smirnoff...

you dont press the r at first but you press it when it detects your windows.... and make sure you have the correct cd ie if its a sp1 xp then you can't repair using sp2 cd i will mess the system files...

if there is no r option after the first you passed the first one (the repair console) then that means the system files are messed so a re-install is assential... but if dont want to loose the data in there then you can install the new xp to a diffrent director like \WINDOWS1 so it dosen't overwrite the old files...

It's cool, thats what i have done now anyway, i repaired the file and continued installation.
computer has now rebooted and i am faced he next part of set-up.

so far so good. except it thinks it will take me a further 39 minutes, i wanted to be in bed for 12.

the file 'ksuser.dll' on windows driver cabinet is needed.

do i really need this or can i just cancel and continue?

djdbg said:
the file 'ksuser.dll' on windows driver cabinet is needed.

do i really need this or can i just cancel and continue?
u havent an option m8 u will have to skip and hope them files r ok

i got the ksuser.dll file ok

the system is now working ok, it didn't have teh drivers for tehe disk drive.

Will have to sey-up mo internet connection clean up the computer for the little chap and install proper anti-virus instead of mcAfee.

thanks again.

Back