Canary Isles in November.

viduka

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi all

Im going to Feurteventura in Nov & the last time i was there the accom I was in had a fta stb picking up some stuff from 28e. I was going to take my box of tricks with me but Im sure that I read somewhere that the footprint was changing in that area shortly & nothing would be available. Can anyone confirm if this is the case & when it is likely to happen.

Thanks in advance.

November could go either way. What you've heard is true, the new replacement satellite (which should launch tomorrow- Sep 29th) has a narrow UK footprint cutting out most of Europe. But it has been fraught with delays so far, so Sunday's launch- although likely, still may not go ahead as planned. See this thread https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/index.php?threads/365596/ If the launch does go ahead on time, it normally takes about two months for the new bird to come into service, hence the uncertainty for Nov.

I think the 'nothing' scenario is a bit pessimistic, there are still plenty of services at 28°E unaffected by the Astra 1N->2E change-over, but BBC, ITV, 4 etc. will most likely be gone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes agreed - but I suspect also nothing will happen overnight. There is probably a month or so commissioning work before it finally is in place then the change-overs will not all happen at once. I expect the FTA channels showing old repeats will be there for a while yet!

Sorry - meant to say also depends on your dish size also, if you are lucky an have a 2M+ there still might might be some of the 1N stuff to be had. Clearly if you are only getting the old Astra 2 (i.e. 1.4M dish) you are a bit more limited.

Thanks for the info. Will prob take my box and see what happens.

Back