CD & DVD Burning mpg/avi

J

jaime

hello folks, i've been trying to copy onto cd various films i've downloaded but have had no luck!
I use Nero with WinXP and any time i try to burn an avi it effectively stops my machine!! My CPU usage jumps to 100% while nero "encodes" the film and nero stops responding. I have tried the "video cd", "super video cd" and "iso" settings from the wizard but still nothing.
When i try to burn mpegs they are created as DAT. files on the cd, using the "video cd" setting again, which can obviously not be played using either WMP or RealOne.
What am i doing wrong?

hi m8 u r doing nothing wrong when u say u try to burn avi r u trying to make it a vcd/svcd then this is ok it will seem to stop but it will take hours to convertwhen it has then it will burn it to vcd/svcd the format of the vcd is a data file and the format of a svcd is mpeg2 to play svcd on ur pc u will need a soft dvd player the likes of powerdvd then u can play them
but if u use windows media player fire this up go to file open then to the cdrom u have ur vcd then the folder mpg click on the data file this will play it have fun m8 :D: :D:

David is right. It is a long drawn out process. It may be quicker to convert to VCD first before burning using TMPGE. There are also other proggies that will allow you to burn video such as Prassi, Stomp, Win on CD etc which you may like to experiment with.

Cheers for your answers guys, i guess that i just freaked when i saw it take ages to convert the avi file. Will try again when i have a few hours to spare.
Speccy m8, how can i convert to VCD before burning though?
Cheers.

Hi Jaime.
First you need to get hold of TMPGEdit available from my site but quite available elsewhere also. Run it. You will see 3 small windows at the bottom. Video source (AVI file), Audio source(same AVI file) and Output filename. Once you have done that select Load in the bottom right hand corner. You will find a selection of pre settings (saves you setting up your own parameters). If its VCD you require then select VideoCD (PAL). Under Settings you are given the choice to alter parameters further if you wish. At the bottom of Video Tab page you will see selections for quality. The lower the quality the quicker it is in converting and vice versa. I should leave these settings for now and experiment as you go along with something like 2 minute clips. You may also wish to experiment with Options at the top such as High Priority etc. When happy just click Start at the top of the main window. You will find other encoders on my site but I find TMPGE to be the best. Let me know how you go on m8.

Cheers again Speccy m8, i'll download it and try it out tomorrow. Your a top man!

Back