built new pc. not working

waqaszaib

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi guy I just upgraded my pc. Took all of the old one out and put a new motherboard, cpu etc but when I switch it on. The case fan lights up and the heatsink fan spins but then after 1 second the pc shuts itself down.

The computer is as followed.

Amd x2 64 4200+
Geforce 6600 agp
2 x 256 mb ram
230v power supply.
Acer al1715 monitor tft
SoundBlaster live 5 soundcard.

I think it might be the power supply and I hope someone can say it is because I hope I aint fried the comp.

thanks in advance

Whats the motherboard? (make and model) As it may not support X2 without a bios flash (you must always check the mobo manufacture's website before doing a bios flash as doing it wrong can brick it).

Also what is the wattage of the PSU, as it could be underpowered. To check, take it out and it should say on it somewhere (usually a sticker on the side with a graph or a table giving you the stats, as it where).

You deffinately need to buy a larger power supply, but if you take out the graphics card, sound card, hdd, cdrom and memory you should get some posts beebs, first you should get beebs indicating no ram, if you do insert the ram, then beebs for no graphics card, so insert that.
After doing this you should get into bios.

ow and just cheked the inside of my comp and the power suply is 300w it said on the out side it was 230v. sory about that. i am going to buy a 500w psu.

i removed all pci cards and graphics card but the problem still existed so i think it is the psu

i had a similar prob when i upgraded my motherboard...

the problem i had was that the motherboard wasnt earthed properly...motherboard sits on some pegs which insulated make sure that is the case.....

Back